Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

3D

Can anyone recommend a half-decent 3D framework that will work in a Cascades ForeignWindow? Over the past year (!) I've repeatedly re-visited and explored various avenues, but each time I run into hurdles:

• I've tried the GoodCitizenCascades sample, but really don't want to roll my own 3D framework just to render and interact with a few basic shapes.
  • Qt3D seems exactly what I need, but seems unsupported, even in the Qt world. Build instructions for Qt3D with Qt 4.8 are outdated. Latest NDK seems to have broken Qt Creator 2.7.1, and Qt5.1 won't even build on BB10. I haven't been able to explore how it would interact with Cascades rendering or the event loop;
  • There are some pretty good 3D frameworks for JavaScript, but WebGL inside a WebView causes all kinds of stability problems;
  • Most C++ 3D frameworks work OK on desktop, but don't support OpenGL ES and/or rely heavily on glut;

Note: I'm not looking for a full gaming engine, as my app idea isn't a game but needs native (or native-looking) UI.

Any thoughts?

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer

Re: 3D

Bump! Anyone?
Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Getting this looked into, please stand by Smiley Happy
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane
My Carrier: Outer Space

[ Edited ]

Is there any reason why you wouldn't want to use OpenGL? Surely you can create more than just a few basic shapes...

https://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/files/webinars/cascades_opengl_webcast.pdf

(also, if you should run into problems with OpenGL, I'm sure you could ask R. Speranza or R. Madhavan)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Last we spoke, I mentioned to you that I would be porting an API that I coded many years ago, for a modelling software that I was working on, to support OpenGL ES 2.0 on BlackBerry 10.  I'm going through a process right now to get the approvals to do this.  This will be a project I will be working on in my spare time but it will be released open source so that official samples can be built around it.  The original library predates OpenGL but it does include many high level primitives including NURBS, trim curves, revolution surfaces and includes a tesselator for generating polygons for these surfaces for rendering.  Because the software was never completed, some of the features that were under development will not be ready at first, such as bones support for animations and blobs and physics support will not be available at first but I will try my best to deliver those features later in the year.  This API also has animation support and there will be some related APIs later for more advanced rendering.

Another feature I'm hoping to add in to help developers port other code out there is a partial glut binding (the object APIs only) and I will also look into an OpenInventor binding as I was investigating this many years ago around the time I also started looking at Java3D.

Aside from my personal efforts, my colleague Ramprasad is working on a series of integrations of Cascades with various gaming APIs already out there.  One of the integrations coming soon is Cascades with GamePlay3D.

I know you have been waiting for a while but rest assured both Ramprasad and I are tracking what the community is looking for and are trying to get some samples out there with more capabilities for developers who want to do more with 2D and 3D graphics on the platform than the simple samples we have produced so far.

Developer

pyth wrote:

Is there any reason why you wouldn't want to use OpenGL?

I don't have a problem with OpenGL, but it is rather low level for the project I have in mind. I would prefer a higher level library that allows you to construct and interact with shapes, apply textures, define cameras, skyboxes, animation etc. instead of rolling my own OpenGL-based framework. Qt3D seemed like a perfect fit.

Developer

RSperanza wrote:

I know you have been waiting for a while but rest assured both Ramprasad and I are tracking what the community is looking for and are trying to get some samples out there with more capabilities for developers who want to do more with 2D and 3D graphics on the platform than the simple samples we have produced so far. 

Thanks guys, can't come soon enough IMO.