Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Bouygues Telecom
Accepted Solution

ActionItem image size

Inside an ActionItem on a page you can mix text and image.
What is the recommended size of the image ?
And what happens if the text is too long ?

Thanks for your help.
Laurent

Twitter : @LaurentKP
My apps
Retired
My Device: BB Alpha
My Carrier: N/A

Re: ActionItem image size

Hi Laurent,

The number of characters displayed for action items ActionItems is dynamic, dependent on the number of action items present in the pane.

For instance, if you have one single ActionItem present in your pane, it will be centered by default and display all characters (up to 30). On the alpha device right side up,  two ActionItems in your navigation pane will contain about 14 characters each, whereas if you have three, the first two will contain 9 and third will contain 4 characters with "…" if necessary. If you have more than three of them, the extra ones will be placed in an overflow pane on the right hand side with their respective icons.

NOTE: The "Back" ActionItem behaves differently and is created by default, with default text "Back" and arrow image. If customized (via QML, for instance), it will display 10 characters and append "…" if required. For example, "BACK12345678" will display "BACK123456…" on the navigation pane.

As for images, they are automatically resized the same way as images placed in a generic Cascades Button. A good size for source images would be 64x64 or 128x128 pixels.

My advice would be to keep the text in your ActionItems short and images intuitive. Examples are "Next", "Options", "Settings", etc… You will want to choose text values that are clean and don't require the "…" depending on how many you have.

If you need further guidance let me know, I can provide a sample example for you;

Regards,

Martin

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Bouygues Telecom

Re: ActionItem image size

Thanks Martin for the clarifications. I've got all my questions answered now and I don't need any example code. Thanks a lot.
Twitter : @LaurentKP
My apps