Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: 9360, BB10
My Carrier: Aircel

Alarm Manager in BB10 Cascades.

Hi All,

Is there any way to apply the AlarmManager functionality like Android in BB10 cascades.

I want to use time interval in my application means if my application is close then also at a particular time interval some task should execute.

So please provide any suggestion for this.

Thanks in Advance.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Alarm Manager in BB10 Cascades.

It's sounds like you'd like to run a headless application. At this time it isn't possible (your app must remain open) however this summer should see a new developer OS that will enable developers to run headless apps and thus you can likely queue events to occur at some interval in the future.

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Developer
My Device: Passport (Red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

You'll want the headless app functionality. Seems like we can expect it somewhere in August, at least according to the flight boards.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

We also hope to have alternates to true headless apps for many things that used to require them, including this ability. There's a subsystem they're working on called the user alarm service which may be suitable for this. I have few details aside from a few tidbits, but it appears it would allow an app to register itself for subsequent invocation at a particular time (and, presumably, date).

There's a permission called access_user_alarm_service for that. Whether it is/will be available to third-party apps is not something they've confirmed but I would expect it to be the way they support this use case.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Z30

Any update on this user alarm server? Would be nice to have something like that without abusing something like clock_nanosleep Smiley Happy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my apps in the BlackBerry World
Visit my developer blog alopix.net
BBM Channel: C0047B612