Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Wind

App size on new phones

I know the BB7 phone apps were relatively small with the majority from 1-2mb and none more than 5 or 6 while playbook apps could be substantially greater, is there an estimation or idea of what would be a reasonable size on the new phones? Will they have capacity similar to the playbook? I'd expect so with the new tech, any thoughts?

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: App size on new phones

The new phones should have capacity very similar to the PlayBook. I think you can and are supposed to use the Dev Alpha hardware as a guide. Details of that have been posted in numerous places.

I wouldn't venture to say what a "reasonable size" for an app should be, since there's no way to define reasonable without defining the specific type of app involved. I'll happily run some apps that are >100MB, whereas others I'd consider bloated if they were more than 1MB.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

very true, it really is content dependent. But overall I would say larger sizes are less taboo than with the BB7's. Thanks for your take on it.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

I'd definitely agree with that. I expect these devices will be used as real tools for many things other than "mere" messaging, and the apps (and their sizes) will, eventually, reflect that. Fortunately the Alpha is also capable of launching even largish apps (10-20MB) rather quickly (2s) so that shouldn't be a problem performance-wise either, though I really do hope we see an increase in RAM over what the PlayBook has (50%-100% more).

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

[ Edited ]

That would be terrific, and it will be great to see high quality BB apps which can rival other platforms. I know the previous phone OS' did have some excellent apps but I could never win an argument with colleagues over their iPhones until now. Quick launch time and ability to manage large sizes are going to level the field.