Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: BB 10 Dev
My Carrier: Simulator
Accepted Solution

Are there any other ways to install debug token other than using qde

Hi all,

Currently I'm using QDE to install my debug token to the phone.

Are there any other ways to install the debug token without using the QDE?

Thanks in advance.

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Are there any other ways to install debug token other than using qde

you can also do it with the command line tools
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
My Device: BB 10 Dev
My Carrier: Simulator

in order to install through command prompt, the user need to install blackberry sdk first right?

what if user has not installed any of these (momentics or blackberry sdk), is there any way to let the user to install the debug token into their device? because I need to let the user to install the app (haven't uploaded to BlackBerry world).

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Maybe you can use the command line tools without an installed SDK, never tested that.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

jessica99327, there's an alternative. It sounds like you may want to learn about using the "draft mode" in the vendor portal.

In a nutshell, instead of using debug tokens, you can create a signed release copy of your app. You upload that to the product entry that you create for your app in the vendor portal as a new release. You attach the .bar file just as you normally would, but after saving the new release you do NOT submit it as you would for a final release. It will be marked as "draft" instead.

Now you use the "sandbox" feature in the vendor portal to add the BBID emails of your testers as sandbox accounts. (At the main menu in the vendor portal.) Those users then need to put their devices into Development Mode, then run BlackBerry World. They swipe down to get the app's settings menu, select the Development Mode page that should be visible there, and enter the SKU or product id (which you give them) for the app to be tested.

They should then see the app's entry (it may take a few hours before it's visible, when you do this for the first time) and can hit Download (without having to pay for it). It will install and should run exactly as it would have if you had released it and they'd purchased the app.

There should be several threads in the BlackBerry World Development forum that describe this in more detail or answer questions about it, if you try this and need some more help.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: LE Z10
My Carrier: Ben(T-Mobile network)

What is wrong with the QDE? 

You can make a debug token with the QDE, or with commandline.

if you already have a debugtoken.bar file you can simply side load it with a sideloading tool(i.e. BB10 Sideloading Tool).

Don't forget to mark as solved and like my post if it helped out!
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

@ETitus if you had read the thread and the response you would understand why...

jessica99327 wrote:

in order to install through command prompt, the user need to install blackberry sdk first right?

what if user has not installed any of these (momentics or blackberry sdk), is there any way to let the user to install the debug token into their device? because I need to let the user to install the app (haven't uploaded to BlackBerry world).

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
My Device: LE Z10
My Carrier: Ben(T-Mobile network)

Whoops, I missed that part. In that case you can ask for his pin, make the debug token yourself, send it to the user and letting him sideload it with a tool.
Don't forget to mark as solved and like my post if it helped out!
Developer
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10
My Carrier: Fido

[ Edited ]

I used to do it that way too, but lately I skip the BB World sandbox by just sideloading my signed bar file instead. The problem with the sandbox is the up to 24 hour (or occasionally more) wait before your uploaded bar file trickles out to the download servers. This is amplified by the fact that every update you want to test is subject to the same delay before you are able to download your test bar file. The benefit of sideloading is that it is instaneous, and the exact same bar file is loaded by either method without need of a debug token.

The only time I ever use sandbox downloads now is when I need to get a prerelease build to an unsophisticated user who is incapable of sideloading.

peter9477 wrote:
jessica99327, there's an alternative. It sounds like you may want to learn about using the "draft mode" in the vendor portal.

In a nutshell, instead of using debug tokens, you can create a signed release copy of your app. You upload that to the product entry that you create for your app in the vendor portal as a new release. You attach the .bar file just as you normally would, but after saving the new release you do NOT submit it as you would for a final release. It will be marked as "draft" instead.

Now you use the "sandbox" feature in the vendor portal to add the BBID emails of your testers as sandbox accounts. (At the main menu in the vendor portal.) Those users then need to put their devices into Development Mode, then run BlackBerry World. They swipe down to get the app's settings menu, select the Development Mode page that should be visible there, and enter the SKU or product id (which you give them) for the app to be tested.

They should then see the app's entry (it may take a few hours before it's visible, when you do this for the first time) and can hit Download (without having to pay for it). It will install and should run exactly as it would have if you had released it and they'd purchased the app.

There should be several threads in the BlackBerry World Development forum that describe this in more detail or answer questions about it, if you try this and need some more help.

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.  multiFEED Icon

Play nice: Clicking Like Button on posts that helped you not only encourages others to continue sharing their experience, but also improves your own rating on this board. Also, don't forget to accept a post if it solves your problem or answers your question.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

greenmr wrote:

The problem with the sandbox is the up to 24 hour (or occasionally more) wait before your uploaded bar file trickles out to the download servers. This is amplified by the fact that every update you want to test is subject to the same delay before you are able to download your test bar file. The benefit of sideloading is that it is instaneous, and the exact same bar file is loaded by either method without need of a debug token.

This isn't at all true, in my experience.

With the first upload, as I noted, there is a few hours delay while things propagate through.

Every time I've ever uploaded a new build after that first time, however, it has been available immediately.

I believe you're misinterpreting the fact that the metadata (showing the version number etc) isn't updated quickly. If you ignore that, however, and proceed to the download, you will get the latest even if you uploaded it only a minute earlier.

As I said, this is what has happened for me, consistently. The version number shown may be a few hours old (or even a day? not sure... I ignore it) but the actual .bar file that is downloaded is always what I just uploaded.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!