Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Re: Are there any other ways to install debug token other than using qde

[ Edited ]

Hmmm, interesting. I do indeed go by the metadata, so perhaps the updates are immediately available as you suggest. In any case, I don't believe there is any difference between the way a signed build operates on a device when it is sideloaded and when it is dowloaded from the sandbox, so I still propose sideloading as easier than uploading to the sandbox.

Near the end of my release checklist is a sideload of the signed bar file, to catch any permissions related bugs that won't show up with a debug token install. From what I can tell as long as it is a signed release build, the sideloaded bar file will function exactly the same as if it was downloaded from BBW.

UPDATE: Another good reason to sideload signed bars rather than use the sandbox is that only the highest numbered release is ever available for download from the sandbox, whereas you can have multiple versions of the signed bar file that users can sideload at will. This can be useful if you are trying to solve issues for more than one user at once, and also if you want the user to compare two proposed solutions to a problem they are encountering. With the sandbox, all users would see the same single sandbox release.

peter9477 wrote:

greenmr wrote:

The problem with the sandbox is the up to 24 hour (or occasionally more) wait before your uploaded bar file trickles out to the download servers. This is amplified by the fact that every update you want to test is subject to the same delay before you are able to download your test bar file. The benefit of sideloading is that it is instaneous, and the exact same bar file is loaded by either method without need of a debug token.

This isn't at all true, in my experience.

With the first upload, as I noted, there is a few hours delay while things propagate through.

Every time I've ever uploaded a new build after that first time, however, it has been available immediately.

I believe you're misinterpreting the fact that the metadata (showing the version number etc) isn't updated quickly. If you ignore that, however, and proceed to the download, you will get the latest even if you uploaded it only a minute earlier.

As I said, this is what has happened for me, consistently. The version number shown may be a few hours old (or even a day? not sure... I ignore it) but the actual .bar file that is downloaded is always what I just uploaded.

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.  multiFEED Icon

Play nice: Clicking Like Button on posts that helped you not only encourages others to continue sharing their experience, but also improves your own rating on this board. Also, don't forget to accept a post if it solves your problem or answers your question.
Developer
My Device: BB 10 Dev
My Carrier: Simulator

Sorry for my late reply.

After numerous tries, I finally uploaded my app in draft mode. I've added the tester accounts into sandbox and they were able to download from the BlackBerry World by using the ID that I've given to them.

However, after finish downloading and installing it, when I tried to run the app, it just shakes and did not open the app.

Does anyone know why is it happening like this? (I've came across this incident when my debug token is expired and trying to launch the app)

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

[ Edited ]

Yes either the debug token has expired, the bar file contents are corrupted or missing or the app is plain not working.

You did upload a signed release version right?

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer

[ Edited ]

... and downloading to a phone that has its account in the sandbox users?

^^^ My money's on this one. Smiley Happy

[Edit] Perhaps I'll lose my money on this one, is it even possible to download if the account is not set? Not something I've tried.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer
My Device: BB 10 Dev
My Carrier: Simulator

I've already added the BlackBerry ID into the sandbox, log in using that BlackBerry Id on my device. (Currently same as my vendor ID - testing purposes)

Correct me if I'm wrong, do you meant that those tester accounts' (those added into sandbox) device must has the debug token installed in it in order to launch the application?

I thought i could skip installing debug token into the tester's device, because they dont have the momentics to install the debug token.

Are there any other ways for the testers to download/install and launch the app without the debug token (developement mode - ON)?

Developer

[ Edited ]

I believe they might, again I've not really looked at this in detail and only with phones that already have it installed anyway, take a look here to see what a phone/user needs to do to test the app...

https://developer.blackberry.com/blackberryworld/testing_apps_with_a_sandbox_user_account.html

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

jessica99327 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, do you meant that those tester accounts' (those added into sandbox) device must has the debug token installed in it in order to launch the application?

I thought i could skip installing debug token into the tester's device, because they dont have the momentics to install the debug token.

Are there any other ways for the testers to download/install and launch the app without the debug token (developement mode - ON)?

Don't mix up the sandbox stuff and debug tokens!

The sandbox is meant to be used with signed releases, not devmode releases (which require the debug token).

If you're uploading a devmode release which works locally when you sideload it and have a debug token in your device, this will not work for your testers....  unless, perhaps, you've built the app with a debug token that was generated for all their PINs. (But why anyone would do that is beyond me.)

Upload a signed app for the sandbox testers.  If that's what you've been doing, and yet you get the symptoms you described earlier, then please clarify a bit more. "Shaking" isn't a description that I understand (aside from what you see when you long-press on an icon to start deleting or reorganizing the apps).

By the way, to test whether your signed release should work on others' devices, just sideload it to your own device first. If it's truly signed (and maybe that's the issue... can you confirm it really is signed?) then it will generally work on the others' devices if it works on yours.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

@peter9477 If you click on a debug app already installed on a device but with no debug token installed it does indeed look like the icon is shaking not the pulsing motion you get when long holding.

Having never had an app on another device besides my own from the sandbox I'm unsure whether Development mode needed to be turned on, that link suggested it did but perhaps thats only for payments.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

[ Edited ]

Okay, I hadn't really though of that as "shaking" before. Thanks.

Development mode definitely does not need to be on for a sandbox install of a *signed* app.

Development mode doesn't need to be on *after* a sandbox install of a signed app. You need it on to perform the install (since otherwise BBWorld won't even show you the page where you initiate the download) but after it's installed you can disable development mode again.

The app is *exactly* like a regular install, except if something requires payments or something else that would work only for a true, approved app install from BlackBerry World.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

@peter9477 Thanks, I suspected that may be the case.