Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: BB10 Dev Alpha Simulator Issues In Linux

The same.. Ubuntu x64 and nvidia - qml preview not working and huge emulator problem with mouse and size.
Retired
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Developer

Think this might be an issue related to VMWare player, I;m afraid.

I set up the simuator on Ubuntu and it was working with no problem but attempts to get it working on Kubunti were unsuccessful. Not sure that Kubuntu is a supported platform for VMWare Player, it certainly doesn;t appear on the list of supported platforms.

VMWare Compatibility List.

Contributor

I also tried in Ubuntu (I installed Ubuntu before Kubuntu since they both share the same base system) w/o success but that still not the biggest issue since the emulator works but you have to use you ctrl-alt keys all the time to scroll etc.

What's more important, at least for me, is that the Cascades previewer in Eclipse doesn't work. I really need instant feedback when designing UIs. I don't want the extra turn-around time to deploy to real target or emulator.

Why didn't you just simply put components on top of QtQuick, It would have worked on all three major platfroms right now.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook with OS 2.0
My Carrier: N/A

It couldn't be a problem with VMWare Player. I'm also using Ubuntu 12.04 and can't get it to work properly. But you said it works for you on Ubuntu?

My BlackBerry 10 apps: Roshnal Lihinikadu
Lots more coming up!
Contributor

Working is one thing, but working properly is a completly different thing Smiley Happy

Since the Cascades-previewer in Eclipse doesn't work I have to use Vmware to check the UI which is really annoying because of the scroll-thingy where you need to exit to 'host-mode' each time you want to scroll around in the view (since it's quite big on my laptop).

Retired

Not sure that this will fix your problem but a trick that we have found useful is to plug in a second monitor and configure this in portrait mode so that you have access to the whole screen without having to exit the player in order to scroll up and down the simulator screen. This definitely improves the usability and testability.

I'm afraid the CTRL-ALT key sequence is a VMWare feature and nothing we can control. I could not see any way in the VMWare documentation or forums to modify this behaviour.

Graham

Developer

Nice solution.. Buy a extra monitor for laptop Smiley Happy)
Retired

The other solution that might work would be to use the VMWare Fusion solution rather than use VMWare player - one of my colleagues is using that and it allows him to scale the VM properly.

Developer

VMWare Fusion - this program Mac only (((
But for me immolator now is not problem(I have Alpha).
The big problem for me now is that QML preview don't want to work with Ubuntu 64 and Nvidia (Big part of my program in QML).
Contributor

Hilarious!