Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

BB10 Plugin for Eclipse (Indigo)

I know this has been asked before (e.g. here http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Native-Development/blackberry-native-sdk-and-eclipse/m-p/1604... but I would like to raise this question again to put some emphasis on this.

Please can we have a BB10 plugin for an existing Eclipse installation? As far as I see, Momentics is based on Eclipse 3.7. I got most of the standard plugins running in Momentics (which almost behaves like Indigo now), but I can't get the standard debugger running with a windows (or any native) executeable. 

For whatever reason, I cannot create a "Run as C/C++ Application" in Momentics and I haven't really looked into creating a custom "Debug Configuration" in Eclipse (everything I have found is a down to the bone solution; adding low level config scripts, etc. I am not sure if this doesn't clash with the QNX Debug Configuration in some way, either).

Loading the same workspace with either Momentics or Indigo works, but for some reason one trashes the build tool chain of the other. I cannot enable the QNX toolchain in Indigo, but I can have a MinGW (haven't tried Cygwin) in Momentics. Compiling for a windows target (and I asume Linux/Mac) works just fine in Momentics, but without a working debug configuration this is useless.

So, please, use a mainstream enviroment and make Momentics a standard Eclipse plugin. Can't be that hard Smiley Wink 

Thanks

J

Developer
My Device: ಠ_ಠ

Re: BB10 Plugin for Eclipse (Indigo)

[ Edited ]

That would be nice, but don't count on it. It took forever for RIM to switch from the JDE to an Eclipse bundle on the Java side. They had an update site for a little bit, but killed it off. Its actually not that uncommon for people to repackage Eclipse as their own, and since Momentics seems to have been around for a while (not sure how long), I wouldn't expect them to change anything any time soon.

But I agree, standard plugin would be nicer.

Contributor

Well, in all fairness, there is not much RIM in that BB10 environment Smiley Wink I was playing with QNX's Momentics back in 2006 or something (and earlier before when they released Neutrino). The whole NDK is QNX with some add ons from RIM (I hope you guys don't mind if I say it like that) Smiley Wink QNX has quite some Eclipse experience I would think.

Developer
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: ...

RIM bought QNX so they are now the same company I guess.

Just an FYI, there is absolutely no need for momentics/eclipse. Qt has also supported QNX for many years and is an excellent IDE and only getting better, in my opinion.

RIM's port for creator is working quite well, so why even bother with a Momentics/eclipse pluggin when you can use Qt creator directly?

Cheers,

Jon

Contributor

Well, because I use build targets in Eclipse to deploy to Windows/Linux/Mac/Android and BB OS? 

Developer

Precisely, with Qt you can deploy to win, linux/unix embedded and desktop, mac, ios, wince, symbian, meego, maemo, android, BB, QNX, etc, etc...
After all Qt is designed as a cross platform framework.
I have used both eclipse (for symbian before Qt creator integration) as well as vs and I much prefer Qt creator.
I am just a hobbyist programmer though and far from proficient, so I could very likely be missing something in my opinions thats obvious to a professional programmer so take it for what its worth, just my opinion. Smiley Wink
Cheers,
Jon
Contributor

Sure. Why not. I like having a choice.

Eclipse is my IDE of choice. There is simply nothing comparable which can be extended in a transparent way as Eclipse can. Be it task lists, embeeded bug tracker, build system, source control etc. And supports multiple languages (incl. high lighting like lua, tcl, XML, GL shaders, etc). 

The build in indexer actually makes me write code faster than before using Visual Assist X in VS. And the best of all that, I have full control over it and it is totally free Smiley Wink

Developer

I see, sounds like Qt creator! My IDE of choice Smiley Very Happy
I must ask, have you tried Qt creator?
Why I ask is I was not interested in trying it either when I was using eclipse, it wasn't until instability issues and lack of some needed options in the symbian eclipse plugin that I was forced to give Qt creator a try, I have never looked back since...
If you have not tried it, I would highly recommend you give it a shot, I doubt you will be disappointed.

Best regards,
Jon
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I might. I just have no need for Qt at this time. But it is a valid option I might consider down the road. I feel quite comfortable with what I have, though. 

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9320
My Carrier: Rogers/Wind

I'll tell you one and a half things about Qt Creator.

1. Faster content assist, doesn't delay OR require a special key combo to bring it up

1.5. I think there's auto-import