Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile
Accepted Solution

BB10 simulator on Vmware ESXi

I'm trying to get the BB10 simulator to work on a VMWare ESXi server. Here's what I have done so far:

1. Installed the simulator onto yhe development machine, started VMWare workstation, opened the vmx file and uploaded the virtual machine to the ESXi server.
  2. Disabled 3D acceleration on the vm (on ESX) and selected "Full touch safe mode" after booting up the vm.

At this point, the VM screen shows the device IP address  "telnet ftp ssh qconn", the device pin and the build number.

The next step is to connect the Momentics IDE to this virtual machine.

The simulator configuration dialog needs a vmx file (presumably to run vmware specific commands). In the ESXi setup, there is no vmx file.

If I were to attempt to connect to the virtual machine by its IP address, I need a device password, which I do not have.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do now?

New Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: BB10 simulator on Vmware ESXi

Responding to my own question because I found the answer:

Now that I have the IP, I just followed the steps in

Since I had never set up a password for the simulator, I left the password field blank.

Copy pasting the details:

From your IDE

- Right click on your project in Project Explorer view

- Go to Blackberry Tools and click on Configure Targets...

- Click the Add New Target... button and enter the IP address of your simulator in the Hostname or IP field, enter your password if you have one and the click Finish

To run your app on the simulator:

- In the Project Explorer view, double-click on the bar-descriptor.xml file, then click the Set from Debug Token button to set author information for the app.

- Set the correct build configuration for the simulator first by right-clicking your project and selecting Build Configurations > Set Active > 4 Simulator-Debug.

- In the Project Explorer view, right-click the project and select Build Project.

- Right-click the project again and select Run As > BlackBerry C/C++ Application.