Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 STL100-3, Playbook (WiFi only), Curve 9320

BPS Documentation available as PDF file?

Is there a PDF file (or other format) which documents the BPS (Blackberry platform support) functions?

At present I go to a URL like

https://developer.blackberry.com/native/reference/bb10/com.qnx.doc.bps.lib_ref/com.qnx.doc.bps.lib_r...

for example, in this case to get info about functions available for BPS dialogs. 

Navigating those screens is tedious.  Also it is not efficient to print the screens because of anciliary information. 

What I would really like is to be able to see all those function descriptions as a document, read the document, then go back to particular items on an as-needed basis.

Most likely this is already available.  I just haven't found it yet.  Any pointers?

Thanks,

Ken Roberts

krobe8@gmail.com

Ken Roberts
krobe8@gmail.com
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 STL100-3, Playbook (WiFi only), Curve 9320

Re: BPS Documentation available as PDF file?

To answer my question of yesterday, here is the method I've arrived at for getting BPS documentation as a pdf file:

Go into QNX Momentics IDE.  Choose Help -- Help Contents  Pick a topic from left hand menu, for instance

Native SDK Core Native -- Blackberry Platform Services Library -- Dialog Windows.  Highlight it.

From menu along top of screen, choose down-arrow of Print icon, and select "Print selected topic and all subtopics".

Choose printer.  If some direct-to-pdf software is available (I use PDF995), just print to that file.  Otherwise, select "Print to Go", and send the file to your BB10 (it will arrive as a pdf file).  Then share that pdf via email to the computer where you want to use the file.

This is ok.  There is one further consideration -- there is a 500 topic limit in the QNX Momentics IDE help-print option.  Which makes sense if one is actually printing, but is perhaps not as necessary if one is producing a pdf.  For instance, the full BPS collection of topics is over 1100 topics, so cannot be produced as a single pdf.  One has to select each particular subtopic (eg dialog windows), one topic per print job/file.  But it's not terrible to have info in moderate-sized chunks.  Another glitch is that if one saves the html help topics file on some development machine, that works, but when the html is re-opened the javascript thinks that you want to print again, and you have to cancel that print window.

All considered, very nice documentation, now that I can read it at page-turning speed.  Thanks to many writers!

Ken Roberts
krobe8@gmail.com