Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Super Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Fido

Back button or no back button?

[ Edited ]

I am currently testing my application on my Q10 and am relatively new to the BB10 platform both as a developer and as a user. I was just wondering, since the Q10 has limited real estate compared to the Z10, do BB10 user's expect there to be a back button at the bottom of each page? Or do most of them know they can flick the page toward the right to go back?

I'd honestly rather not have the back button getting in the way for obvious reasons, what's better, back button or none at all?

My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: -

Re: Back button or no back button?

As a programmer, NEVER assume the user knows how to do something, no matter how obvious or trivial it is. In your case, 99.9999% of the time they'll know to try to flick right, but they'll always be those users who don't. However, if you're really keen on removing the back button, explain how to return somewhere on your help page.

It's up to you and the experience you want to give.

Remember to mark the thread as solved at the post that solved your problem, and if you like a post, like it!
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: Movistar

Take a look to the UI Guidelines (http://developer.blackberry.com/design/bb10/)

My Device: Blackberry Z10

It is up to you whether you want to have a back buttion on ui or not.
Being Blackberry 10 , most user knows we can go back by swiping right or by pressing back button on UI. But for naive user, its a good practise to have back button on UI solving confusion of how can I go back now.

As you say in Q10, height is very less as compared to Z10. if we show back button on UI, very less space for other UI components.
Dharmender Singh