Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Any

Re: Background Application in playbook

Thanks! Fantastic!!!

I will try to confirm it tomorrow.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

My mistake, it appears not to be fixed in AIR itself yet.

The reason it was working for me is that I was also running another (non-AIR) app which does manage to enable GPS in standby... and that apparently led to the AIR app also continuing to receive updates.

I'll be trying to talk to the RIM people at BB10 next week to get a better understanding of what they're planning to do with this, especially in terms of supporting it officially in the NDK.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: None

As far as I can tell GPS does not work in standby for NDK either.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: PRIV
My Carrier: Rogers

The bug is marked fixed internally, it just didn't make it into the 2.0.1 release. It should show up as part of the next release.

Cheers,
Sean
Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Any

[ Edited ]

>My mistake, it appears not to be fixed in AIR itself yet.

Peter, I got you private message, thank you! I tried to reply in private - but the web-site would give me an error. So, thank you again.

2 Moderator: Sorry for using public forum, but private massaging just does not work.

Developer
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: AirTel

hello all,

now BB10 is released, anyone having suggetion for running application in background without ui is possible or not?

thanks all,

dinesh

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

BB10 is very far from being released still, so there is nothing to be said about this yet.

If you're talking about the Dev Alpha, which has an unreleased and very early and limited form of BB10 on it, the answer is still no, there's nothing in it to support running background services with no UI for our own (third-party) apps. Only RIM-provided system services can do this for now.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: None

I am not sure what RIM is doing to encourage development for the Playbook.  Some of these issues / questions have been asked for months yet I have not seen a definitive response.  All I have heard is not implemented yet, or it is fixed but was not included in latest release.

I am losing interest in the Playbook because I haven't seen (it may be published but I know not where):

1. RIM providing a list of functions available for the different development platforms, specifically NDK

2. RIM indicating the next release date

3. RIM indicating planned dates for the implementation and release of fixes and functional capability.

4. RIM indicating which of functions will never be available to third-party applications, for example running applications in the background with no ui.  I have no confidence that RIM will ever allow third-party applications to do that. It seems to me this is an important capability that should have been automatically available with the first release!

I am not a professional developer, being a Canadian, I thought it would be fun to learn to develop simple personal applications to run on the Playbook.  If something interesting, useful to others, and of sufficient quality then I would consider a public release.

Admittedly, I haven't done much research so maybe this is naive but I don't understand why people who want to make money would consider spending much effort on Playbook.  I would think expecting many Android software developers going to the effort of enabling their software to run on Playbook is a bit much.

I wonder if Android software capableof running in the background on Android can run in the same way on Playbook?  Where is it listed, for the developers exactly, what Android functions operate on Playbook and what do not and never will?

Before I regain my interest in playing around with software development for the Playbook I need to see some sort of meaningful roadmap from RIM.  It doesn't matter if it wrong, not too wrong though but it needs to be always up-to-date and not update once every year or so.  Of course, that would be better than what I have seen.

Maybe I am completely 'out-to-lunch' and all this information is somewhere available to the public.

I am sorry, but the frequent "Not implemented yet." provides absolutely no information to me other than confirming that there is nothing I can do to fix the problem.

Highlighted
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: PRIV
My Carrier: Rogers

I'm just going to comment on your 4 points below.  I don't want to get trolled into a flame war.  This board is for solving problems and answering questions.  There are numerous other outlets for opinions and conjecture.
1. https://developer.blackberry.com/   Almost every function and feature is documented.  Regarding your later Android compatibility question: https://developer.blackberry.com/android/apisupport/
2. Any dates provided would have to be so conservative as to be meaningless given the realities of large-scale software development.  The counter-complaints would either be "We want shorter release cycles!" or "RIM missed the dates they promised!".  Also remember that there is a careful balance required between giving developers a heads-up and giving away any competitive advantages that the company depends on for long-lead-time features.
3. See 2.  Also, use the bugtracker and log problems and follow-up regularly...  https://www.blackberry.com/jira
4. See 2.  Also, you are talking about a nontrivial example with far-reaching implications.

rmisk wrote:

1. RIM providing a list of functions available for the different development platforms, specifically NDK

2. RIM indicating the next release date

3. RIM indicating planned dates for the implementation and release of fixes and functional capability.

4. RIM indicating which of functions will never be available to third-party applications, for example running applications in the background with no ui.  I have no confidence that RIM will ever allow third-party applications to do that. It seems to me this is an important capability that should have been automatically available with the first release!

New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: tim

We need to develop a WebWorks application for blackberry 10 that runs as a background service.

It's possible?

I have found an API only for BB 5.0 - 7.0:

http://developer.blackberry.com/html5/documentation/rim_background_element_1265316_11.html

Thanks