Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Basic UI components in NDK 2.0.1?

Thanks!  I'm a loooong way away from ever writing anything substantial enough to put on Appworld, but yes Qt sounds perfect for getting me something i can load onto my own playbook in the meantime.

Question - what does Qt use under-the-hood for drawing the various GUI components - does it use Open GL?  Again, forgive my ignorance, I know extremely little about this stuff.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None

I was one of those (the few?) who developed using the NDK.  I used OpenGL for all the graphics and basically had to draw my own buttons.  It was painful but it forced me to learn some really basic things.  (I wish there was a UIKit for the PB!)  

Some people developed with Qt but I didn't want to bother since I knew Cascades was going to come.

In the meantime, you could develop using WebWorks.  That's the route that many people are taking.

Sucroid.com
Sweet Apps for the Fans
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry 9900 & PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Qt can use either the OS's drawing capabiliities, or OpenGL. Cascades will use OpenGL. Qt on the PlayBook can use either, but works amazingly well with OpenGL.

Founder of Pulsecode Inc. and taab
Authomator - Two-factor authentication codes on BlackBerry 10 - http://www.xitijpatel.com/ - Follow @xitijpatel
Is there a helpful or useful post in this thread? Click the thumbs up on it so that other people can find it more easily!
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Q10, Z10, Z30
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm not sure if this meets your needs, but have you looked at the dialog api's?  They cover the items you seem to be searching for.  You might have to get a little creative with them.  

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Bold 9650, Dev Alpha A
My Carrier: Sprint

peter9477 wrote:
I really thought someone had started posting official or at least more regularly built binaries, but maybe I dreamed that.

On the download page for Qt on the BlackBerry GitHub (accessible via the wiki link I gave on page 1 of the thread, which has other GUI things too), there are some (usually) monthlyish-updated binaries. I believe the Jam in Orlando this month caused this month's binary drop to not show up, but it's almost June now... Smiley Wink

Is there a helpful or useful post in this thread? Click the thumbs up on it so that other people can find it more easily!
Like this post too! Smiley Very Happy