Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

BlackBerry 10 APDU timeout

Hi,

I have encountered a timeout problem with the Q10 with the seek-for-android access control enabled UICC SIM with PIV applet secure element.

All APDU communication is fine until a request to generate an asymmetric key pair of size 2048bit is issued which takes the applet more than 10 seconds to reply (can be as much as 30 seconds).

The problem I am seeing is that the OS breaks out from this command after approximately 8 seconds and before the command is properly completed.

This suggests that there is a maximum time allowed for APDU responses and that after that time the OS cancels the operation.

Are you aware of this issue? Is there an OS fix for this?

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: BlackBerry 10 APDU timeout

[ Edited ]

Hi

yes this is a known issue. There's a fix coming for it. That said it's a slightly controversial issue in that there's a view point that says it's bad to monopolize communication with the SIM for so long and we believe this will end up in front of one of the standards bodies under the heading "long-running behaviours". 

It's suggested that if possible, you send an APDU to kick off the crypto process on the SIM but not wait for a response and then send another at a suitable interval to check the result. This may or may not be feasible in your case.

Regards

Martin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Follow me on Twitter: @mdwrim