Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
My Device: curve 8530
My Carrier: boost

BlackBerry Tablet Simulator , won't install

I download the installer onto windows and clicked on it.  At  the end I get a windows 2 error, can't install the vm.

I remember having trouble installing eclipse. At that time I had to go to the Sun website and download things.  Is it possible that another setup for a virtual machine is interfering with the installation? Do I need to change the enviroment varables?

Retired
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: BlackBerry Tablet Simulator , won't install

[ Edited ]

Hi firstLeaf,

I’m assuming that you carefully read through the installation instructions provided by the installer we try our best to make it as straightforward as possible and we are always open to suggestions  so could you please detail a bit more of what you are seeing?

The Tablet Simulator installer is a very simple one; it doesn't do much but creating a folder named “Virtual Machines” on – by default – your documents folder (My Documents) and coping simulator files there. You don’t need to change any environment variables at all; just make sure you have VMWare Player installed.

You can easily verify if VMWare is properly installed running “ipconfig” on the command line; there should be a few virtual adapters named “Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter”. Can you please confirm it too?

Contributor

windows error 2 occured while loading the Java VM.  Thats the error that I get. I don't think it has anything to do with the VMWare Player. Since, I copied the simulator instaltion file to another windows 7 computer and the instation proceeds normal.  

i looked up what a windows 2 error might be. And it says it can be an indicator of currupted system files.  So I guess it could be a problem in Windows. And not the installer.  I still think that there might be a different Java VM installed and this is preventing the one from the simulator to install. I think one was loaded when I was working with the black berry phone.  

in any case, according to ipconfig the VMPlayer appears to be installed correctly. And varous IP addresses are shown.

What happens when I do finally get the simulator installed? I know I have to Open a virtual machine and then navagite to where the simulator installed., etc. But what about after that? I've figured out haw to import some of the samples into the NDK.  How do you run them on the simulator?

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: x

Oh.. it's a loooooong story... perfectly well written though, just read. 

Highlighted
Contributor

yeh, I imagine there are a lot of long stories here. I've tacken a look at some of the samples. I looked at the source code. I can pretty much understand. Ofcourse, coming from almost a purly theorotical bacround in C++, the api's are a little mysterous but not much.  Its all pretty cool. Never did I imagine that I would end up here.  I see some things called handles. Apparently, declared as static functions.  Is that so the optimizer does not optimize the code into the wrong thing. Probably.  These arn't interupts are they.  Still have no idea what to do with Java VM problem.