Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Blackberry 10 plugin to check file system encryption status

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I'm planning the development of a Blackberry-10 application using WebWorks.

One requirement of the application is that I need to persistently store a small amount of user data, and the data must be encrypted when the device is locked. 

My plan is to write a native plugin to programatically check the device policy, to ensure that the file system is encrypted using the user's PIN or password - is this possible? If so, can you point me to the name of the API to check this? What I would need to do is check the encryption status and exit the app if the filesystem encryption was not enabled.

Assuming that the above check is possible - is it then safe to assume that any data the application writes to its working directory (e.g. $HOME/data) is encrypted when the device is locked? Or does the app need to do anything extra to encrypt its persistently stored data?

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: N/A

Re: Blackberry 10 plugin to check file system encryption status

Can you describe the use case for your application?  Is your application going to be depolyed in the Work or Personal perimeter?

Thanks,
Pratik Sapra
Gaming & Apps Consultant
Developer Relations
@pratiksapra
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Blackberry 10 plugin to check file system encryption status

Hello,
The use case is for the development of a messaging application for work.