Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Z10, PlayBook
My Carrier: NA

CKS password not working (but works from command line)

I installed the NDK for the first time this morning and in setting it up, I selected my .p12 file.

In trying to create a debug token, it's asking for my csk password.  But when I type it in, it just prompts for it again, and again, and again.

The thing is, I know this password is correct, since when I sign BAR files that I develop using Adobe AIR, I use:

blackberry-signer -verbose -cskpass *** -keystore keystore.p12 -storepass *** iTunesSync.bar RDK
blackberry-signer -keystore keystore.p12 -storepass *** iTunesSync.bar author

... and that works fine.

So I'm stumped. Why on earth would it be claiming that my csk password is incorrect? I've verified that my caps lock is off, etc.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: CKS password not working (but works from command line)

Make sure you have selected the same .p12 file.  Here are the default locations:

• Windows® XP:  %HOMEPATH%\Local Settings\Application Data\Research In Motion\author.p12
  • Windows Vista® and Windows 7®:  %HOMEPATH%\AppData\Local\Research In Motion\author.p12
  • Mac OS:  ~/Library/Research In Motion/author.p12
  • Unix / Linux:  ~/.rim/author.p12

Can you post a screenshot of the password prompt?  In Eclipse you can also setup a master password that is used to store/access all your other keystore passwords.  Maybe that is what it is prompting for...?

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer

Here's the CSK dialog.

Yes, so far as I know the p12 file matches the csk file.  Like I said in my first message, the fact that I can use the command line tools for deploying BAR files to my PlayBook using this same p12 file and csk file would seem to be a strong indication that they match, no?

Developer

Alright... twilight zone... so back a year and half ago when I was first making PlayBook apps, I had trouble with my keys, and I ended up requesting three different keys.  I have been using one particular csk file for the last year or so, along with its .p12 file. Like I said, I can sign and submit Adobe AIR apps without any issue.

I tried one of the other CSK files in conjunction with the NDK, and low an behold, it worked.

So now I'm very confused.... if the p12 file I've been using all along is actually paired with a csk file I have *not* been using, how have I been able to sign Adobe AIR applications?

And secondly, how should I sign Adobe AIR applications from now on?  If I use this other CSK file, will it break my existing PlayBook apps if I submit new versions?  Should I continue to use the original CSK file I've been using?

Is the p12 and CSK password the same?  You can change and/or recreate your p12 file without issue.

However, the CSK should remain the same for all versions of your application.  Otherwise you won't be able to provide upgrades for your applications.

Mark Sohm

Developer

Ah, ok.  Thanks for the reminder about being able to create new p12 files.  I'll try and create new p12 files for my csk files then and try and verify that the p12 file I've been using is incorrect.  I just hope that if I start using the right p12 file, it won't prevent users from updating my apps.

Developer

Highlighted

Changing the p12 won't affect users upgrading applications.  That is tied to the CSK.  Just make sure you use the same author name again.

Mark Sohm