Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Trusted Contributor
My Device: n/a
My Carrier: Koodo
Accepted Solution

Can I use my older apps on the new BB10 platform?

I apologize I know this is too general of a question but I took a 'break' from programming for almost a year now. I have 2 older apps that still make some sales, I am just wondering what the deal is with the new phones/platform. Can I simply reload my old app and check the option for the new phones? Or is it something that needs to be reprogrammed to update the actual java programming? I had my old apps able to function on several screen sizes, but I'm not sure of the new ones as I now live in an 'iphone centric' country Smiley Sad

Thanks for any help and sorry if this is the wrong spot to post!

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Can I use my older apps on the new BB10 platform?

If they're Java apps, you'd need to rewrite them using a new SDK. Your choices include (but aren't limited to) AIR, WebWorks, C (pure native), C++ (with Qt or Cascades as the UI framework), or the Android runtime (the only option currently available for Java).

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Super Contributor
My Device: Nexus6P/iPhone6 Plus
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Nope, they will require a rewrite with a more modern language.

Rich C (PKcable)
From Crackberry.com

If I have been helpful please click like! Use the Thumbs up icon below this message. Smiley Happy
Trusted Contributor
My Device: n/a
My Carrier: Koodo

its no longer Blackberry Eclipse Java?? Aww that's horrible. What do they use now?
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

QuestionMan wrote:
its no longer Blackberry Eclipse Java?? Aww that's horrible. What do they use now?

I listed them above.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!