Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None
Accepted Solution

Cascades Horizontal ListView - Not Possible???

Hi,  I would like to have a horizontal list but cannot figure out how using the cascades libraries.  I can see how it is done using the regular QT libraries, there is an orientation property but this does not exist in the Cascades ListView.

Does anyone know of a way to do this using Cascades?

Developer
My Device: Z10

Re: Cascades Horizontal ListView - Not Possible???

I'm pretty sure that a StackLayout can be modified to be horizontal. I'm not 100% on that, but I seem to recall that from one of the Jam sessions.

Follow me on twitter @RileyGB - https://twitter.com/RileyGB
View my BB10 OpenSource projects - https://github.com/RileyGB/BlackBerry10-Samples
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Looks like you should be able to set the layout to a StackListLayout created with its layoutDirection set to LayoutDirection::LeftToRight.

I'd guess at a code sample, but I'm just getting to grips with translating what I see in the docs into QML syntax, and anyway you didn't say whether you're doing QML or C++.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Contributor

StackLayout is a QML property of Container , so you can easily arrange items like text boxes or images horizontally in a Container using:

layout: StackLayout {
    layoutDirection: StackLayout.LeftToRight

But it does not work in a ListView because ListView does not have this property.

Developer

I think it must have that property in some fashion, as it has (in C++) a constructor that allows specifying it: explicit ListView(ListLayout *layout, Container *parent = 0);

I've been trying to decipher how that might be used from QML, but maybe you are just looking for C++ and that's adequate for you?

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Contributor

At the moment I am looking for the QML implementation.

I see the ListLayout class but the documentation doesn't give any details, it looks like it is incomplete.
Developer

Maybe try setting it with the code you showed above? I don't see a "setLayout" accessor or anything like that, but I could easily be ignorant about how this would actually get passed through, and maybe it works. I'd also think the IDE should have some syntax completion support that would recognize/show the supported property name, if it's there. Doesn't it?

Contributor

Using that code above in the ListView results in the following error:

Cannot assign to non-existent property "layout"

As I said the layout property does not exist for ListView.

Seems pretty silly to me that this is not possible, if it is not I hope this is due to this being a beta. Even so it seems like this should be pretty standard.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ok it can be done in C++:

Using the CookBook example program I  declared a new StackListLayout variable in ListView *CascadesCookbookApp::createRecipeListView() and passed it into ListView:

StackListLayout *sll = new StackListLayout(LayoutDirection::LeftToRight);

ListView *recipeListView = new ListView(sll);

I would still prefer having a solution within QML but at least I know it can be done. 

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

The way of doing this in QML is coming but is currently not supported. For now you could handle most UI in QML and just set the layout using C++ if needed to help keep things clean until the QML functionality is there.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!