Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Cascades Webinar Week of June 19th - Q&A

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

For nyone that attended this week's Cascades webinars, I will be posting the questions we did not have time to answer and their answers here. If I missed any of your questions or answered in the presentation and you would like it re-stated please feel free to post here as well:

Q: Do we need to update software on alpha device or it will work straight away fro cascade apps?

A: It will work right away with the current build.

Q: In BB10 will there be the option (similar to current OS7 and below devices) to open with? For instance, can we use Cascades in BB10 to open a picture in a third party viewer (or pdf in third party pdf viewer) through a menu?

A: Not currently...

Q: if you want to put an interactive map such as google maps  inside as one of elements  of UI - is it possible

A: You could use a WebView to embed any web resources, a map would be a great use case!

Q: can qml be used for creating animation?

A: Yes, definitely! My sample uses solely QML for the animations.More info can be found here:

https://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/documentation/ui/animations/explicit_animations.html

Q: can we have our own defined layout , instead of predefined one ?

A: Not currently, but I would be interested in your use case.

Q; might convert my air apps to cascades, will it run faster?

A: It really depends on what you're doing, but Cascades should get you 60fps, how fast is your AIR app rendered? Also, Cascades will give you that great BlackBerry 10 experience right out of the box!

Q: Is QML 3D supported in Cascades?

A: Not directly by QML yet, but you can use a ForeignWindow to display any 3D OpenGL assets you may have

Cheers,

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Developer
My Device: (BlackBerry Z10)-> Q10/Passport Dual Use

Re: Cascades Webinar Week of June 19th - Q&A

What is the login link to the webcast? I have been trying to login after I registered and it redirects me to the events page.

Please helP!?!?

Retired

Which session are you registered for (date and time)?

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

me too having same problem..

i was registered for yesterdays session but the link redirects to event's home page.

i have also got an eamil stating the sessions for today, tomorrow and day after tomorrow but that link is also not working.

Pls help , need to attend the session

Developer
My Device: Z10

I also don't know the link: 20th June 2pm ect.

AFAIK no one from my colleagues don't know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: Vip

I misses the session yesterday. I've found the login link on crackberry forums, but session was full.
Registered again for today's session (Wed. June 20, 2012 at 11:00 am EST/8:00 am PAC) but still no login/attend link. I'm really disappointed Smiley Sad
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

Are these webcasts being posted somewhere we can watch after they are done? I'm very interested in seeing the webcast, but can't find it anywhere

thanks

Retired

Yes, they will be hosted along with the sample source. An email will be sent to all attendees and I will post back to this thread as well Smiley Happy

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Highlighted
Super Contributor
My Device: Nexus6P/iPhone6 Plus
My Carrier: T-Mobile

OK I was scheduled yesterday and never got sent a link, however about 15 minutes in to the session I was able to find the link myself after some digging. Unfortunately all 200 slots were already taken so I rescheduled for today at 2pm. HOWEVER again today despite clicking as soon as the link went live (I kept refreshing) it appears 200 others refreshed quicker than me. Smiley Sad Can we get some more dates for the webinar, or some more capacity?
Rich C (PKcable)
From Crackberry.com

If I have been helpful please click like! Use the Thumbs up icon below this message. Smiley Happy
Retired

Emails should have been dispatched to anyone registered for one of the original webcast with steps on accessing the subsequent presentations.

There is one more presentation in 40 minutes, but the recording and sample code will be posted to the Developer site in the near future for anyone unable to attend.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!