Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
My Device: developer
My Carrier: developer

Re: Cascades and Native boards to be merged

"Basically this forum will be for C, C++, Qt, QML, JavaScript and Cascades framework. Very simple for find answers".

Agree 100%.

A VERY bad decision ...

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Well its happened, ironic I had to search the Native forum to find out that they had merged as I haven't been on for a while. Smiley Happy

I also think this wasn't the best of decisions as these were two of the largest forums anyway, but I will wait to see the explanation on why.

Maybe they are ditching Cascades.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

I have spent some time thinking about it, and while it is a bit unfortunate for the forums it seems that it makes a lot more sense for the microsite to be merged.

With the forum users will have to state more clearly what they want, like QML only or native only etc, but overall it should work out just fine.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
New Contributor
My Device: developer
My Carrier: developer

"With the forum users will have to state more clearly what they want, like QML only or native only etc, but overall it should work out just fine."
OK.
In search mode not obvious ...

Retired
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

HI folks,

Just to put some perspective as to why we merged the boards :

There has always been a very thin line between Cascades and native development.  For example you can write a Cascades app and use some core native audio or bluetooth APIs.  At a logical level at least Cascades development is a subset of native development.  Much of the confusion we've had from developers in the past is that by having 2 sites and 2 forums people saw them as 2 distinct development environments.  This was the main reason why we merged the sites as well. 

As the platform continues to evolve, there are going to be rich APIs exposed at both the Cascades and native layers and having one site and forum will hopefully provide the ability to visualize the SDK's holistically instead of thinking in terms of sub frameworks.

As for some of the speculation around Cascades - it still is and will continue to be our UI framework.  There are no changes there.  If anything Cascades will become even more powerful in the future with some of the new features the team is working on Smiley Happy

Russell

Russell Andrade
Senior Product Manager, Native SDK
Twitter : @russell_andrade
Developer
My Device: Passport Silver, PRIV
My Carrier: Telekom.de, O2, Vodafone

Hi Russell,

thanks for some 'official' words on the merge.

perhaps the forums software can be enhanced and give you some predefined Message Tags for new topics (C, C++, Qt, QML, Cascades) which can be easy checked.

... and then ther Search also can use those easy-to-check tags.

would make it easier to find stuff

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ekke (independent software architect, rosenheim, germany)

BlackBerry Elite Developer
BlackBerry Platinum Enterprise Partner
International Development native Mobile Business Apps
BlackBerry 10 | Qt Mobile (Android, iOS)
Workshops / Trainings / Bootcamps

blog: http://ekkes-corner.org
mobile-development: http://appbus.org Twitter: @ekkescorner
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Russell,

Thanks for the clarification if you are still on can you tell me what has happened to re-ordering of lists?

I've been waiting a while for this functionality to come along and its seems to be forever delayed?

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Retired

Hi Ekke,

Agreed.  We will be adding more tagging and smart filtering in our docs and API search and we can look into doing the same for the forums.  Will need to brainstorm with a few folks to see what we can do to make this easier.

Russell Andrade
Retired

@ 

Don't have an answer handy regarding list reordering since i don't deal with the UI component side of things.  I'll find out...

Russell Andrade
Retired

Made some inquiries about list ordering and got an answer.  The Cascades team thought they would be able to get it in to 10.2, but ended up missing the 10.2 window.  It's an important feature and should come in the next SDK release.

Russell Andrade