Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: x

Re: Changing file ownership programmatically?

>Should be same as any app, with a unique uid and gid. 

you mean every app is ran with different uid and gid??? This is not the way QNX works....

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

I'm not sure what you're referring to with "this is not the way QNX works".  If you mean QNX outside of the BlackBerry devices, would you say that QNX even has "apps" in those environments?

Anyway, I may be mixing up the ownership of files with the uid/gid that the processes run with, if that's possible. (I didn't think it was.)

I just ran my Battery Guru app on the Dev Alpha and exported the data to CSV.

It creates a folder in shared/documents called BatteryGuru:

drwxrws---   2 100361000 1000_shared      4096 Sep 11 10:43 BatteryGuru

The contents look like this:

-rw-rw----   1 100361000 1000_shared   4689463 Sep 11 10:43 export-20120502T132138-20120911T104237.csv

If you look at the installation folder you'll see this:

drwxr-x---   4 apps      10036          4096 Jul 20 00:42 /apps/ca.engenuity.PowerMon.gYABgAwVSbFH.WUGdVx81itsDUo/

As you can see, the app assets are group-owned by 10036, which is a unique id that was created for this app when it was installed on this device.  The export folder shows that it creates files with a uid formed by basically concatenating the unique group id with "1000", but taken as an integer.  (gid * 10000 + 1000, in effect).

Does any of that really describe what the actual app's uid/gid are when it runs?  I thought it did, but if you say no, I'll believe it.  I know there's a security manager of some sort involved, which could probably affect how much of this works relative to generic posix...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

Thanks Peter.

Scratch my you mean every app is ran with different uid and gid??? This is not the way QNX works....

I keep forgetting that here every app is 'sandboxed'. Indeed looks like every application has the same uid=apps and its own gid=10036 (in case of Battery Guru). Otherwise your BG would not be able to write to your app data folder, I suppose it has apps:10036 ownership?

And every folder in shared has drwxrws---  root:1000_shared which means every process can write from/read to any folder in 'shared'.

I have one more question though... On my device I have:

$ ls -l /accounts/1000/appdata/
total 64
drwxr-x---   5 apps      10035          4096 Sep 10 15:38 com.BGmot.BGshellPlus.gYABgFqtoyu3utwrBAQFwGgvBN0
drwxr-x---   5 apps      10034          4096 Sep 09 16:41 com.ursinepaw.runincrowd.gYABgCyJQ4g0dIUE6nIx3vtN_ig

What will prevent BGshellPluss app from writing into /accounts/1000/appdata/com.ursinepaw.runincrowd.gYABgCyJQ4g0dIUE6nIx3vtN_ig ?

Developer

I'm pretty sure the answer to your question is that the apps do NOT run with uid=apps, but rather with their own unique uid as I described. The /apps/... and /accounts/1000/appdata folders are not created by the apps themselves, so the fact they are owned by "apps" is irrelevant. You'll notice that the group id in that case is unique to each app, and that group actually doesn't have write access to the folders in question so it can't actually create folders in the level immediately below those. Check the permissions on appdata/com.ursinepaw.runincrowd.gYABgCyJQ4g0dIUE6nIx3vtN_ig/data and you should see what I mean... your app will finally have write access inside that one.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

Oops, well, with a signed app you may have a bit of trouble checking those permissions and owners. ;-)  

Unless you integrate it into the app you won't have much luck, and looking at an unsigned app may give a misleading picture as the apps all run with uid "devuser".

I just installed the original BlackBerry-Py demo from the downloads folder (bbxpython-demo-0.0.2.11.bar) which is a signed app that also happens to allow connecting via telnet to the Python interpreter running in the context of the app.

Here's some useful info:

Python 3.2.2 (default, Feb 18 2012, 09:30:15)
[GCC 4.4.2] on qnx6
(MyConsole)
>>> import os
>>> os.getuid()
>>> os.getgid()
>>> os.getgroups()
[1000, 1001]

That matches what I've been saying...  plus the extra groups they have for access to the shared folders.

Developer

Right, I missed 'data' at the end of appdata/com.ursinepaw.runincrowd.gYABgCyJQ4g0dIUE6nIx3vtN_ig/data as an actual appdata folder.

Now everything makes sense.

Thanks.

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE

I have basic understanding of Unix. I haven't been an avid user and fan but I have used it a little for at least 15 years (mostly Linux). So I believe I understand the basic concepts.

I have tried everything that I know of, including changing the ownership (chown), but I all get is error message: "operation not permitted".

If you check on crackberry.com forums. Other users have this problem too and their only resolution was to do a security wipe of the device. So if I could make a tool to delete such rouge files, that would be nice.

I've just tried to delete everything above "accounts/1000/shared/video" and was deleted  all but these files. 

Developer

Zingam, just to clarify then, your goal is to make a tool (app) which would let people remove such files, when they apparently can't through any other means?

Have you tried with one of the third-party file managers such as Files & Folders, or AIR Browser? I'm pretty sure that one of them can remove the folder in question (the one created by unzipping these files and which contains the files after unzipping).

Developer

Zingam,

can you find out what application has guid=10029? run this in ssh session to your PB:

ls -l /apps | grep 10029

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE

Neither Air browser nor any other app can delete the files too.