Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: none

Clone the browser address bar?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a way to make something like the browser address bar, I want the tab button on the left, the action menu button on the right, and a search box in the middle.

I have the buttons set up with no problem but can't work out how I can get an EditField on the bar for searching.

Thanks

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: Clone the browser address bar?

I haven't experimented in this area, but I strongly suspect we have no way to reproduce that component ourselves right now, in Cascades. Note that the browser is not using Cascades... the entire thing is done with WebWorks, bbUi.js, and HTML/JavaScript, so in effect they've made a custom control there and attempting the same thing would probably be your only option for now.

This seems likely to be a daunting task, however, given that you're trying to integrate it with the TabbedPane. I guess you'd basically need to make a clone of the ActionBar, hiding the usual one, and integrate it into the TabbedPane by reproducing the current tab button behaviour.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook

Re: Clone the browser address bar?

Thanks for the response, I have since had the same confirmed by contacts. Custom component is the only way forward at this stage.