Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Z30

Committed enough to give more devs access to dev alpha? ;)

[ Edited ]

First thing I read today was the blog post that RIM (or the BlackBerry Developer Relations team) is still committed. First of all I have to say that it would be a little bit weird, if just because you moved the release date, you weren't committed to developers any more – especially because as mentioned in the blog post the committment improved a lot over the past year ;P

Nevertheless, I wanted to ask if RIM is committed enough to not only give away the BB10 dev alpha devices to Jam participants but also to (really) committed developers who still believe in you but aren't able to attend such events because e.g. they are students who're still stressed by upcomming exams (or currently taking exams or took exams during the near events) or devs who can't afford to travel hundreds of kilometers.

Let's be straight: almost another year until the first devices means RIM will think of some extremely awesome additional features to stay in competition against other platforms who don't have to start from scratch. This could be done by making more developers even happier. More apps from the start of the platform can be one of those features: consumers don't want to wait for apps to be ported after a product was launched.

Es exmplained, I think now it's important not only to support attending developers but also committed devs who e.g. already ported some app(s).

Maybe something similar to the PlayBook offers but of course only for devs who weren't able to attend the Jams (in their regions of course! for a European who didn't have time or money to attend "at home" it's not easy to attend e.g. the South America tour) and are part of the dev community long enough wouldn't be a bad idea.

I for example (a master studient living in Austria, the nearest Jam being 500km away with another 200km to get to the nearest airport, having to take exams or similar during all near Jams) already ported an existing app to BB10 and can't wait to think about more apps (some ideas exclusively available for BB10) but developing using the simulator is not what I have in mind when trying to prepare my apps for official launch.

Maybe RIM and the Developer Relations team will think about this. I guess people will still be committed (I know I will) if they don't get their hands on a devalpha device, but I bet they will be committed even more (and again, I know I will be Smiley Wink.

PS: Maybe some will now argue: Google only gives away free dev devices to Google I/O attendees. My argument is: RIM isn't Google when it comes to BB10. We can't compare Android and BB10 right now because Android already has a big userbase - BB10 only has developers. And I don't think how Google does it, is the best way.

Another argument could be: Apple doesn't give away anything. But does RIM really want to become Apple? I think Apple Developer Relations (though never officially having developed for Apple) is the wrong way. You just pay and pay and pay and get nothing in return. Why pay 99$ each year and Apple still takes 30% of my revenue.

And last but not least Microsoft with WP7. I don't know if they ever gave away free devices on Summits or conferences but what I do know is, that if a developer asks for a dev device and shows, that he/she's committed (by producing at least an app), they will give you one. Same for Nokia, who only produces WP7 hardware: just ask for a dev device and you will get one to kick **bleep** on their platform.

And as for kick **bleep** on a platform: from my experience porting apps for the BlackBerry platform (at least Tablet OS + BB10), kick **bleep** is it's middle name.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my apps in the BlackBerry World
Visit my developer blog alopix.net
BBM Channel: C0047B612
Developer
My Device: (BlackBerry Z10)-> Q10/Passport Dual Use

Re: Committed enough to give more devs access to dev alpha? ;)

I understand your anger, but I see many "so-called" committed devs who are not at all loyal to BlackBerry. I remember seeing people at BB10 Jam, who had no intention of developing applications for BlackBerry. Some of these were not even developers, but designers. They also would attend other conferences like Google I/O. 

Two-faced people.

But sounds like you're not happy about something.
I cannot help you.

Developer

Does my post sound angry? Sorry if it gives the expression - was not my intention. It's more a "sad" mood.

RIM moved the BB10 devices back another half year and as a student of a degree called "Mobile Computing" you can imagine that I'm really into developing for mobile devices Smiley Wink
I think it's just sad that RIM is only "helping" people out with dev devices who are attending the Jams and, as you mentioned, not everyone at those Jams are committed developers. Still, they have a better chance of getting a DevAlpha device (which they probably only use for reviewing it on their blog, if any) than someone like me who's not able to attend but has planes/ideas for countless apps (and of course not enough time lol) that would look awesome on the BB10 platform.

Developer
My Device: (BlackBerry Z10)-> Q10/Passport Dual Use

You may find this to help your cause.

RIM to Make More Dev Alpha Devices Available This Summer

http://www.blackberryos.com/news-article-comments/32496-article-rim-provide-developers-additional-op... 

Cheers! 

Developer

Thanks for the link - let's hope "later this summer" is not too far away Smiley Wink
Developer
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Verizon

I think you're right greenback. I noticed something fishy when I was at a Jam event. I asked several others about the SDK, VMplayer and other simulator issues. There were a few that had no idea what I was talking about.

Updated my pin
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Hi folks,

More access to BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha devices has to be one of the most asked for things by BlackBerry 10 developers and there have been many threads on the forums asking the same question, to which we have replied Smiley Happy.

At the moment there are only enough of these devices to provide to attendees of the BlackBerry 10 Jam events. If more become available in the future and there is a way that they can be distributed to more of our eager developers then rest assured it will be posted here in the forums as well as on the Developer Blog:

http://devblog.blackberry.com/

I can't guarantee that this will happen, or when it may, but the forums and the Blog would be your best sources for information for all BlackBerry developer news.

That being said the simulators are available for testing today. While these are not full-featured smartphones, neither are the Dev Alpha devices at the moment Smiley Wink. More support, features and functionality will be added to the simulator as time goes on and it still provides a great way to get your UI and business logic up, running and tested.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Highlighted
Developer

Thanks for the answer. Let's hope you can produce more of those devices Smiley Wink

Unfortunately without the WebView being function, creating a OAuth flow or something similar is impossible Smiley Sad