Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: _

Common Project for Playbook and BB10?

[ Edited ]

I am in the process of porting a game to Playbook and BB10 and would like to use the same Momentics project for both platforms. It seems to almost work however there is at least one thing that needs to be different between the two platforms: the icon image file which is referenced from bar-descriptor.xml.

It sure would be nice to avoid building a second project as my project has a ton of configuration in it.

Jayeson Lee-Steere

Titanium Studios

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10, Playbook

Re: Common Project for Playbook and BB10?

I just ported a small opengl ES 1.1 app from PB OS 2.1 to the BB10 NDK and simulator.

I didn't have to make any changes to the code, but the app icon size is larger under BB10.

Originally I left the OS 2.1 icon, and it displays fine on the BB 10 simulator, but it looks small and out of place with the other icons.

I created a larger icon and put it in the bar-descriptor.xml file.

Not a big deal, but yes, you do wind up with two different workspaces. But this shouldn't be for too long since BB10 is going to be released within a couple of months (right RIM?)

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: _

When you say workspace, do you mean project? bar-descriptor.xml can have workspace-relative asset references in it it seems, so a hack would be to have workspaces in two different folders and put the platform specific icons there. However then revision control becomes an issue since workspace folders do not seem very suitable for sharing with others. 

I think what I am really looking for is an easy way to have a platform specific bar-descriptor.xml so I can change any/all of the packaging options.

Jayeson

New Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Free Mobile

Do you guys build different bar for the PlayBook and BB10 ? Let me explain my situation. In the simulator my app runs fine on PlayBook and BB10, and on a real PlayBook too, but apparently according to the BlackBerry Team testing the app submissions for the App World, my app isn't even launching on a Dev Alpha device... Am I missing something ? Like deploying two different BAR for each platform ? Currently I build one BAR with the 2.1 SDK.

-----------------------------
See my PlayBook apps and my website.
Twitter : @Minishlink