Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: Bell
Accepted Solution

Compile and link times?

Hello BlackBerry devs,

We are developping a relatively large application consisting of around 1500 compilation units spread over 2 static libraries and the main application. We are using WNX Momentics and managed build. Overall recompilation times are 40 minutes with a 5 minute link time on the final application. Is there any settings people may know of that could help on this front?

We are using preincludes in all projects. It seems a PCH would be beneficial in this case, however, there doesn't seem to be a way of enabling this in Momentics managed builds.

Also, our codebase is dependent on short wchar_t (-fshort-wchar). This causes the linker to emit a warning (uses 2-byte wchar_t yet the output is to use 4-byte wchar_t; use of wchar_t values across objects may fail) for every linked object which, with over 1500 linked object results in A LOT of output and is probably slowing down the link accumulating these messages. There doesn't seem to be a way of silencing this warning since -fshort-wchar actually enables this warning from its default error status.

Many thanks,

My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: N/A

Re: Compile and link times?

Hi Stephane,

I don't have build settings explicitly for pre-compiled headers but have confirmed they are supported.  Since they are standard GCC options, you can add them to the general QCC options settings page.  I am trying to see if anyone internally has the settings that I can share.

About the linker warning: -fshort-wchart changes the ABI, and makes the code incompatible with the system libraries. This is why the linker warns about the ABI mismatch. It's not a warning that should be silenced, but if you want to, you can do it using -Wl,--no-warn-mismatch.

Pratik Sapra
Gaming & Apps Consultant
Developer Relations