Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10, Playbook

Complete access to hardware: wifi, microphone, other?

Do any of the BB 10 APIs provide complete access to hardware devices?

I.e.

the microphone. An API to record input to a  (compressed) file is not good enough. I want real-time, raw samples from the MIC at whatever frequency it samples at. In fact, it would be nice to set the sample rate too.

WIFI: can receive signal strength be retrieved? Without having to connect?

In fact, any of the 'sensors', (rate gyro, accelerometers, gps, MIC, WIFI, Bluetooth, etc) should be accessable at their lowest levels. Give me the raw data and let me decide what I want to do with it, not the API designers.

Failure to make this data avialable to developers really limits the possibilities for apps.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: Vip

Re: Complete access to hardware: wifi, microphone, other?

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: PRIV
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Complete access to hardware: wifi, microphone, other?

In fact, any of the 'sensors', (rate gyro, accelerometers, gps, MIC, WIFI, Bluetooth, etc) should be accessable at their lowest levels. Give me the raw data and let me decide what I want to do with it, not the API designers.

Of course, the downside to providing raw access to the devices is now all your apps need to understand how to talk to every variant of that component -- different vendors, different interfaces, different revisions, etc.