Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
My Device: Z10, Torch 9800, PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: Rogers

ContextMenu option "Open in"

Hi - I have created an app in Cascades, that consists of some text fields.  When I do a long-press on the data within any of the text fields (after selecting/hilighting it), the Context Menu pops up and I get the default actions: Select All, Cut, Copy, Paste, Share, and Open in.  I am fine with all options except for "Open in".  I only get the "Open in" option when the app is being run (tested) on my Z10...and the strange part is that this option wants to open in Sportsnet i.e. the full menu option says "Open in Sportsnet" which is not relevant to my app in any way.  However, when I run my app on the simulator, I don't see the "Open in" menu option.

I don't particularly use the Sportsnet app so I deleted it, and the "Open in" menu option wa gone from the Context Menu.

How do I prevent the "Open in" menu option from showing up in the Context Menu for good??  My concern is when other users use this app, they may experience a similar problem giving the impression that the app is buggy.  Please note that I have not programmed a Context Menu in my app.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click 'Like' if this was helpful, and mark it as a solution if it has solved your problem.
Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Re: ContextMenu option "Open in"

You can't remove Open In menu items.   3rd party apps registers with the menu manager to add their own menu to the system menu so that you can invoke the app.  the only way to remove them is to delete the app like you are doing.

Contributor

Thanks Smiley! So is there a way I can control this?? I don't want the "Open in" picking all sorts of random apps on users' devices. There should be a way to programmatically set it to empty or null or something to that effect. Please let me know if you are aware of anything like this...or perhaps another type of prevention.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click 'Like' if this was helpful, and mark it as a solution if it has solved your problem.
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: MTS

You can try to reimplement default context menu actions for text fields without "Open in" action.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NSR Reader for BlackBerry 10 @NSRReader on Twitter
Me @xelfium on Twitter
Contributor

Thanks saprykin, I had looked into this as an option, but was unable to find a listing of default actions...I will keep looking into this option.