Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

My Device: bb10 developer
My Carrier: Orange
Accepted Solution

Creating a new build configuration

'd like to create a new build configuration in Momentics in that will compile my app differently (it will pass some additional C preprocessor macros to the compiler when my project is built).

Let's say I want to base it on Device-Release, but I want to call it Device-Release-Testing instead. I can see how to do this step through the IDE already: (Project -> Build Configurations -> Manage)

This will (I assume) build my project over the top of the arm/o-le.v7/ directory. What I want though, is to have the project built in a new location so that I can ensure my release binaries never get muddled up.

I'd like this configuration instead to be built under the arm-test/o-le.v7/ directory. I believe this should be possible because the 'Device-Profile' configuration does something similar, with builds ending up under arm-p

My question is, how does the build configuration in momentics (stored in the .cproject configuration file) specify this change? I can see the 'Device-Profile' configuraiton inside the .cproject directory - but there is no reference to an 'arm-p' directory, and there is nothing in my application's PRO file that gives any indication of a 'profile' configuration.

I grep'd my entire codebase and I just don't see how to do this - yet it must be possible. What am I missing here?

My Device: bb10 developer
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Creating a new build configuration

I figured out how to do this, in case anyone else is interested. The key is understand that the compilation lifecycle starts with Make, and not qmake / myapp.pro as I first believed. 

By default a Cascades makefile looks like:

QMAKE_TARGET  =  myapp
PROJECT_DIR   := $(dir $(word $(words $(MAKEFILE_LIST)),$(MAKEFILE_LIST)))
I18N_DIR      := $(PROJECT_DIR)/translations

include mk/cs-base.mk

The cs-base.mk (found in your NDK) contains everything you need to understand how the make process works. In cs-base.mk you can see the built-in rules for the Device-Debug, Device-Release, Simulator-Debug configurations. These are hard-coded into the build system.

You don't want to edit cs-base.mk to add your own configurations, so instead add the following lines to the end of the Makefile in your application root:

PROJECT_DIR   := $(dir $(word $(words $(MAKEFILE_LIST)),$(MAKEFILE_LIST)))
I18N_DIR      := $(PROJECT_DIR)/translations

include mk/cs-base.mk

# add the following:
arm-test/Makefile: $(QMAKE_TARGET).pro

$(info ***** This is my custom make target ***** )
   @mkdir -p arm-test
   cd arm-test && $(QMAKE) -spec blackberry-armv7le-qcc ../$(QMAKE_TARGET).pro CONFIG+=release CONFIG+=device CONFIG+=test
   $(MAKE) -C ./arm-test -f Makefile release

All I did was copy the most appropriate make rules from cs-base.mk, and defined my own rule for the Device-Test-Release configuration. The above make rules do the following:

1. Creates the arm-test directory
  2. Adds  'test' to the the CONFIG variable - this will be available in my PRO file

Now, you need to create a new Build Configuration in the momentics IDE.

1. Right-click your project in the project explorer (myapp). From the popup menu select:
  2. Build Configurations -> Manage

In the Manage Configurations dialog, click "New.." and create a new configuration called "Device-Test-Release" (or whatever you want to call yours. Make sure that you Copy Settings from an "Existing Configuration". Pick the most appropriate for your scenario. In my case I based my new build configuration on "Device-Release".

At this point, you select the new build configuration when you build your project:

1. Right-click your project in the project explorer
  2. Build-Configuraitons -> Set Active
  3. Select the new 'Device-Test-Release" configuration.
  4. Build!

However you will find that nothing different happens. This is because Device-Test-Release is based on Device-Release, so exactly the same thing happens when you build it. We therefore need to modify Device-Test-Release so that our custom rule in our makefile is invoked, instead of the default Device-Release target

Bring up the project properties:

1. Right-click your project in the project explorer
  2. Select Properties
  3. Goto the C/C++ Build tab
  4. Select Device-Test-Release from the Configuration drop-down
  5. Goto the Behaviour tab
  6. There are two text-fields there ("Build on resource save" and "Build") 
  7. Change the textfields that say "Device-Release" to "Device-Test-Release"
  8. Click Apply 

The procedure above 'links' your build configuraiton in the IDE, with the make target in your Makefile. Now when you build your project (in the Device-Test-Release configuration), it will be built into the arm-test/ directory

There are still two more things you need to do though:

Edit your bar-descriptor.xml file, and add a new configuration, based on what you see for Device-Release. Just copy the Device-Release <configuration> section that is already defined, like so:

<configuration name="Device-Test-Release">
  <asset path="arm-test/o.le-v7/libmyapp.so" entry="true" type="Qnx/Elf">myapp</asset>

You need to make sure that the <asset path=""  specifies your new arm-test directory, and obviously change  <configuration name=""  as well.

Once you have done this, you can finally edit the myapp.pro file, and specify some custom rules in there. All I did was add the following rule:

# put this in the myapp.pro file

test {

Remember the "CONFIG += test" that we put into the project Makefile? In the above PRO file, we leverage this by creating a test{} rule, which applies only when we build the Device-Test-Release configuration. Whenever the test rule runs, we can add a TEST_BUILD_WHOOP preprocessor definition. Now whenever our source files are compiled (in the test configuration), the TEST_BUILD_WHOOP macro is defined, and we can put custom code in that only gets compiled when we are testing.

i.e. in your myapp.cpp file:

/* whoohoo! building for test */