Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Cross platform push services?

I am not sure this is the right forum for this question -- if it is, pls direct me to the correct spot.

I want to be able to send notifications from one handset to another.  I was thinking that the way to do this was via BBM.  But I see that BBM API does not support this functionality on BB10 (unlike prior versions -- OS7 - did?)

It appears the way to do this, as best I can tell, is via Push Sevices.  At least, as best I can tell from a doc sift.

If inter-handset comm was enabled through BBM we could comtemplate a cross platform app, this as BBM is going cross platform (at least one day.)  So my question is what are the prospects of push services going cross platform?  Is there anything intrinsic to the capability that precludes, one day, this sort of this from going cross-platform?

Not that important, but if anyone can shed any light that would be great.  Thanks --Sam.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV

Re: Cross platform push services?

By cross platform, do you mean BlackBerry OS 7.x and lower and BlackBerry 10?  If so you could use push today.  You can submit the push request from your application and have it delivered to another BlackBerry user.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Contributor

Thanks for this.  No, by cross-platform I meant iOS/Android.  My initial inspiration for the app idea happened in conjunction with cross-platform BBM.  But then I saw, unlike OS7, an app cannot send BBMs (which is weird, in passing.)  So now I am wondering if we can push to an iOS/Android platform.  And if not now, then down the road?

Developer
My Device: Passport (Red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

I think you're confusing BBM messages and push notifications, two completely different concepts. BBM is used to send messages from BBM contact to BBM contact, push messages are used to deliver new content or info from a server to the device without the need for the app to be running.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Contributor

>> I think you're confusing BBM messages and push notifications, two completely different concepts. BBM is used to send messages from BBM contact to BBM contact, push messages are used to deliver new content or info from a server to the device without the need for the app to be running.

No, I get push (at least I think I do.)  Let me step back a bit and provide some more general functional specs.  I want to write an app that periodically and autonomously sends notifications to ("willing" or "registered") contacts.  Assume both parties run the app.  My preferred way to do this was via BBM.  But as I understand it, BB10 does not allow autonomous messaging via BBM (unlike OS7.)  So I groped around and it seems that one might be able to do this via push.  (The inter-app communication does not need to be synchronous.)  But push, unlike BBM, is not cross platform.  So I wondered if, one day, push would go cross-platform.  Not a biggie.  And likely a long way off.  But I thought I'd ask the question anyway.

More generally, I am looking for a way to effect asyncronous cross-platform notification delivery.  Cross-platofrm can wait, but a visibility to cross-platform is preferred.

All help much appreciated.  -Sam.

My Device: BlackBerry PRIV

Have a look at Urban Airship.  It supports pushing to multiple platforms, including BlackBerry.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker