Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Curiosity: Plug-ins

Recently I was roaming through the API docs, seeing if any functions caught my attention for whatever reason (curiosity). I came across img_cfg_read and its statement that it loads the codecs for use. I remember this being a big feature that some people wanted for BlackBerry development (under the surface, they never quite directly stated something like this). So it got me thinking “We can write our own codecs for pictures? How?” because it mentions that you use that function to “load codecs” and in img_lib_attach, there is the mention of the config file itself. But nothing on how to create a codec.

So the question is, can we write our own image codecs or is this something that the API exists to do it, but we have no way to create an actual codec?

Regardless of the answer, it got me thinking again. If we can (or have the ability) to extend the image system (at least for our application), can we do this for video and audio too? Can I create a video codec and let QNX take care of the actual processing of the video (or audio)?

Lastly, if we can make plugins for those, can we do it for the browser? I know webkit has a plugin system, can we use it or is it a “it’s there but unutilized” feature?

Summary:

• Can we make our own image codecs for use by QNX through the built in APIs?
  • Can we do the same for video and/or audio?
  • Can we make plugins for the browser?
---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.