Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
My Device: Simulator
My Carrier: n/a

Debugging in IDE

I have just a couple of questions about debugging using the IDE... none of these are mission-critical, mostly just efficiency-related.

First of all, whenever I debug, the app always pauses when it reaches the entrypoint, and waits for me to click resume. Is there a way to change this default behaviour so the app just runs?

Secondly, whenever I'm done debuging and halt the app, the "Launching" progress bar stays at 100% and continues to run... as a result if I look at the progress window I see it cluttered with dozens of 100% progress bars for each time I went to debug, and if I try to stop any of them they just hang with the message "(Cancel Requested)". Is there a fix for this, other than quitting and relaunching the IDE?

Thanks,

Dan.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Debugging in IDE

Hi Dan,

For your first question, you can disable auto-break on startup as follows:

- Click the dropdown arrow next to the Bug icon and go to "Debug Configurations"

- Select the configuration in question.

- Go to the debugger Tab

- Uncheck the "Stop on Startup" checkbox.

For your second question, I've had something similar happen. Removing some extraneous unused projects from your workspace or re-creating may solve the issue.

Note: You can also speed up the launch time quite significantly as follows:

From the debug configuration menu:

- Select the Upload Tab.

- Change Deployment to "Only upload binary into existing installation".

- This will skip the BAR packaging step and upload a lot less data to the device, but note that the BAR needs to have been deployed once before prior to switching to this option. If you are modifying any related assets, make sure to switch deployment back to "Install Application from a BAR file" for those changes to be reflected on the device.

Best,

Stephane