Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
Accepted Solution

Detecting Hub open / peek

I've gone through the APIs but haven't been able to see if there is a way of recieving a signal / event when the Hub is viewed. 

What I'd ideally like to be able to know is when the 'splat' icon is removed from an account in the Hub. I think this is the same point that when you peek into the Hub the notifcation LED stops blinking.

Does anyone know if this is possible and where in the API I should be looking?

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Detecting Hub open / peek

I don't have the answer but to clarify... I take it you want to know when it has been viewed... so that you can mark that item as "read" in your app or something similar?

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
New Contributor

Sorry, it's difficult to explain - when a new message (e.g. an email) comes into an account, that account in the account list in the hub gets a notification icon.

I can handle knowing when the message is marked as read - the messageUpdated signal gets fired when that happens.

What I'm hoping to handle is knowing when a message has been seen/glanced at but not necessarily opened and marked as read. I wondered if there might be an account/folder level signal that gets raised when the splat icon gets removed so I know that the user has looked at that account until the next message arrives...

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Bell

I don't believe that's possible at the moment. You may want to submit a feature request: DIT

Paul Bernhardt
Application Development Consultant
BlackBerry
@PBernhardt

Did this answer your question? Please accept this post as the solution.
Found a bug? Report it to the Developer Issue Tracker
New Contributor

Thanks Paul - saves me digging around in the API if I know it's not currently possible. I'll raise a feature request and hopefully it may be considered for a future API.
Developer
My Device: Torch 9800, Bold 9700
My Carrier: Bell, Rogers

I am looking at a way to do this too. I have noticed apps that seem to be able to detect wether the hub has been opened.

If there is no direct api to detect this, is there some way to detect it indirectly by perhaps detecting some change in the system or message read states.

Berobo Inc.
Police Scanner Radio / Alarm Clock lets you listen to Police scanners in your area!
http://www.berobo.com