Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

Re: Devices for people not able to attend BB World?

[ Edited ]

Such a device is a nice thing. But I would prefer a real enduser device. I doesn't want to take the effort to port something to a device that acts different to the consumer device.

So, yes I want a dev alpha, but not really.

@helex: I hope you get a playbook! It's a really cool device and I love it :-) I don't use the emulator, but test everything on the device over Wifi. No need to connect it via USB.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

BikeAtor, the whole point of this gadget (as I understand it) is that it will match the basic form factor (i.e. default orientation portrait mode, screen res 1280x768) of the final/first end user device.

Aside from the fact it's not going to be running the full final OS, this device should be the closest thing you'll ever get to having the final device before the final device is released, so there's no good argument for not trying to run your apps on it, if you can get one.

I'm sure they plan to release numerous updates to the OS build for the Alpha during the summer, to gradually bring it closer to what the final OS will be... as they build that final OS. It's quite clear from the sessions yesterday that many of those pieces (e.g. camera API, Invocation Framework) are still in development in various stages (some beta, some pre-alpha) so we can expect it to "asymptotically" approach the final build (except for system-level apps, which I think will mostly stay missing).

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Z30

I also just read that the PlayBook's going to be updated to BB10?!

Would be nice if they supplied us with alpha/beta versions if that's true Smiley Happy

Then the need for special dev devices would be small (only the radio and screen orientation/size and maybe NFC?! should be different).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my apps in the BlackBerry World
Visit my developer blog alopix.net
BBM Channel: C0047B612
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

The PlayBook will get BB10, but probably not immediately upon release of the BB10 phones. Supplying betas to PlayBook developers would not actually help much with getting out lots of apps for the phones since the form factor is rather different, mainly because of the default orientation.

I did get confirmation from Alec (while we were judging the App Circus) that the plan is for the BB10 Jam to go "on tour" (in some more "compact" form) between now and launch, and there are lots more Alpha devices to be seeded to developers at those venues.

So, get to work learning Cascades, use the simulator for now, and keep an eye on the schedules for BB10 Jam on tour so you won't miss out when it comes to a town near you...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Developer
My Device: non-BlackBerry user
My Carrier: Vodafone

Good news! http://sn.im/bbxjam
Developer
My Device: (BlackBerry Z10)-> Q10/Passport Dual Use

[ Edited ]

Research in Motion/BlackBerry should not forget about San Francisco/Silicon Valley. This is where all the passionate devs are. I have at least 10 more apps in different stages of development. Need a device to test them on.

Releasing my first OS7 app soon. More functional and useful Playbook apps coming soon.

Thanks!

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Passport / Nokia N950
My Carrier: -

A very clever move from BlackBerry. Nokia had pranked the majority of their Qt developers and contributors. If BB provides now good support and a new home for all former Symbian / maemo / MeeGo Harmattan developers I'm sure BB will get soon a fast growing AppStore. A very important argument those days.

I hope I can attend the event in Berlin, germany. It is about 8 hours away for me, but I hope it is worth the trip.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None

My friend did notice that they are missing the West Coast.  I wonder if it's because there are too many iDevs over there?

Sucroid.com
Sweet Apps for the Fans