Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Sprint

Difference between simulator and device?

I released a game having only tested it on the simulator because I don't have a Playbook. It is made with a modified version of the Cocos2d-x library and works perfectly fine on the simulator. It also works fine on every real device I've tested it on (two Android phones, a  Palm Pre, Kindle FIre, iPod and iPhone).

Then I found a review of the game here. Most of the criticisms don't bother me a whole lot, as it is mainly meant as a tutorial for CatHide, my Cocos2d-x based IDE, and not a lot of effort was put into making an actual game of it. A few things did stick out however. First, is the second screenshot in the review. The background is being displayed wrong in that shot. It seems to have fixed itself in the third screenshot though, which is a little confusing.

Is there some reason I should expect things to render differently on an actual device than the simulator? It doesn't do that on the simulator.

The other thing that caught my eye was that he said hit detection is sloppy. I know if the framerate is too low, Box2d doesn't do a good job (Box2d is overkill for a pong game, I know, but as I said, the purpose is mainly as a tutorial). This can be seen on some emulators that are slow by nature. But even my first generation Palm Pre keeps up just fine. So I'm a bit concerned that Box2D just isn't playing nice with the Playbook.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: x

Re: Difference between simulator and device?

I realize that you do not have PlayBook but I would not release anything without testing on real device. Yes whatever they say Simulator and real device may have and do have (subtle) differences.

>but a lot of letters appear to have been cropped by a pixel so part of the outline is missing

I hit the same problem when I used text rendering function from bbutils.c and supplying coordinate parameters as float's not int's. If a number is not round you'll get cropped letters -)

Contributor
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: Difference between simulator and device?

So far, I think this is the first BAR file that I've submitted. My other App World apps are Android apps that I submitted when they claimed to have Android support. I'm beginning to wonder if that was a good idea either. They have been thoroughly tested on Android, but I don't know how well the Playbook handles it.

So far, it doesn't looke like the App World is going to earn enough to justify buying a Playbook, so I might drop support for it. I'll leave support in CatHide for people who have an actual device to test on, and respond to bug reports from people that have tested it on an actual device.

What's confusing is that the menu screen seems to center fine on the device, and the code for the game screen is exactly the same.

I'll take a second look at how I'm rendering the fonts, and maybe offer someone who is willing to help me debug a free copy of CatHide since the differences seem to be pretty big.