Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Pearl Flip
My Carrier: Telcel
Accepted Solution

Different BBM ppid for the same user

Hi! I've found my app is having a weird behaviour when I get the ppid of the user. I try to use ppid as a key in a table of users in a database for my app, and I've noticed I have two different ppid, even thoug I'm the only one using my app (it is still in development).

What I find weird is that I have 2 versions of my app, one that I can dounload from the store (it is in draft mode) and one that I load directly to my device from my developent machine. Those 2 apps get the 2 different ppid from the same BBM user.

Does ppid has anything to do with my app being downloaded from the store or loaded directly? Has anyone dealt with some similar issue?

Thanks in advance!

Reedd.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Different BBM ppid for the same user

This is expected.  PPID is unique ID of BBM user in the context of App, which means same user will have different PPID for each registered App on the device.  

The identifiers used to register with BBM are different based on whether you side load the application or install the application from BlackBerry World.  When you side load the application the UUID and vendor name are used.  When you install from BlackBerry World the application ID and SKU are used.  This will give you two groups of users (two sets of PPIDs), one for testing and one for production.

Also, if you change any item like your UUID or SKU you'll also cause a new PPID to be created.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Pearl Flip
My Carrier: Telcel

Thanks for your quick response MSohm. So, if I keep updating my app on the store, the ppid should be the same, right? As my app would have the same sku and vendor over time.

Thanks in advance.

Reedd.
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

[ Edited ]

Right, as long as updates are done in the same product you already have (as new releases within it) and you keep the SKU the same, the PPIDs will stay constant.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.