Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: PRIV, Passport, Z30, Q10, Z10

Eclipse - API 10.3 update problems on Windows 8.1 (x64)

[ Edited ]

API update just freezes at 29%

Eclipse updated app and doc successfully today, but no luck updating the 10.3 API

On same network, I have successfully updated 3 similar OSX installations of Eclipse.. no problem at all

Also files a Jira on the problem: 

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-2433

Is there a way to manually download the 10.3 packages and unpack them into place?

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Eclipse - API 10.3 update problems on Windows 8.1 (x64)

I have the same problem, still no full SDK on the download page.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

I'm having the same problem, and have closed and restarted, and uninstalled and reinstalled, Momentics twice now.

System details:  Win7 Pro 64 bit, with 64 bit Momentics 2.1 build 201406041640 installed

ALL gold SDK (10.3, 10.2, 10.1, and 10.0) install attempts hang at the same place as noted by lindstrom.

First and 2nd installs of Momentics were in a non default install directory (I prefer not to have my C:\ global namespace polluted by anything that wants to install itself there), but for the 3rd attempt (which also failed to download any gold SDK) I capitulated and installed Momentics in the default C:\bbndk directory.

Completely dead in the water with setting up native tooling here.  BlackBerry please fix ASAP.

Developer

[ Edited ]

Ok after several cancels and restarts of Momentics, it looks like maybe (maybe), the SDK download is progressing ... at about 500kB/s, over my 35Mb/s connection.

BlackBerry:  Double ewe Tee Eff.  This is 2014.  And you do want folks to download your SDK's?  Right?

Developer

Well, so the SDK download and install eventually finished, after several retries and hours of fiddling.

Not exactly the greatest tooling installation experience I've ever had.

Looks like someone @BlackBerry needs to look into server configurations and/or get this stuff hosted on a zippy CDN.

Developer

In case it helps anyone debug the SDK download/install issues: during many stretches of the process, the Eclipse Progress view in Momentics displays "Computing prerequisite plan: Installing <xyz zip file>".

New Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Claro Honduras

I'm having the same problem.

Using Windows 7.

Developer

It did take time, and lots of frustration, but now all our Win 8.1 x64 now have the API updated.

The only thing I did, was to restart the API update process several times, and let it work it's "magic" for 6-8 hours every time. The process seems to try and continue where it left off previous attempt.

BUt yes - something IS l wrong with the whole API update thing on Windows. Usng the same network, our MAC's never took more than 2 hours to complete - none of them - and on first attempt.

This leads me to believe it has nothing to do with the "fetching..." process at all - but rather when fetching is done- the packs downloaded - and the Unpacking process begins,.. Perhaps a debug option of Momentics could be offered next time, - so when(if) this happens again- we can simply follow the update process in the log and see exacrtly what happens and where it stops and for what reason.

So if you still have problems - don't give up, Let the process run for several hours, if it freezes just exit Eclipse, wait a little- start Eclipse again and restart the API update.. do this until it succeeds. (Note: can take days/weeks)

Developer

@lindstrom - Thanks for reminding me that it worked a lot better on your OS X machines.  Maybe it's not a server issue then after all.  By any chance did you catch what the download speeds were on OS X and Windows?

BlackBerry, obviously this is not a good SDK download experience.  Since you're shipping your own flavor of Eclipse, I'm guessing you have full control of a forked Eclipse repo and can drill down into this and determine if somehow the Momentics Windows client is inadvertently throttling the download with some blocking operation.

Developer

@UberschallSamsara The regular download speeds are aprx the same for the Windows and Mac machines - they are connected to the same network and same switch - 5Mbps downlink ...