Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Eclipse? Qt Creator? Where to start?! I'm confused!

Though I don't know much about web development for the BlackBerry platforms, I've heard that https://github.com/blackberry/bbUI.js is pretty good and that it was updated to give the same look/feel/interaction of Cascades for web developers.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

jheron wrote:

Cascades is built on top of the QtCore framework, so I would say there will be no need for a plugin its just going to work in creator by selecting the cascades libs. Qt creator is likely where it has been developed too.

This is just speculation on my part, but considering what cascades is there is no doubt in my mind...

While compilation can presumably occur in any environment which can launch the compiler/linker etc, I believe we will not see any of the Cascades stuff in the visual design modes of other environments such as QtCreator.  As I understand it, the rendering engine with Cascades is significantly different than regular Qt (QtGui?) and that environment simply wouldn't be able to display the components the same way. My understanding may be flawed, but something like that was the answer I got when I asked.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: ...

Thanks for the insight Peter.

When you say " visual design modes", are you referring to the drag and drop of components type of visual ui editor, like in the Qt widget designer?

If so then that is not much different then what we have with Qt creator and qml now. The qml visual designer is non productive and what is seen in the designer is not representative of what it looks like when running in the qml viewer.

The qml coding is so descriptive and strait forward to use there is no use for it anyways though,  at least in my in my opinion. The qml viewer is a nice option for quick ui design and would likely be nice for cascades as well but not necessary. 

I guess time will tell... It would be a shame for us Qt fanboys to have to use momentics for Qt coding on blackberry when creator works so well with the multitude of other platforms supported... 

What does the cascades have with momentics now? A drag and drop type of ui designer, a type a previewer like the qml viewer or something different?

Cheers,

Jon

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Jon, I only just got back, and haven't had a free minute to try out the Momentics plugin for Qt so can't say. I was told at the Jam that it is for now not interactive (e.g. no clicking on a button in the UI and seeing it react), but it does update dynamically when you change the code. Also I believe it's either now, or will in future be, a drag-and-drop designer thing as well, similar to what I saw in QtCreator when I tried it.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!