Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Z10, PlayBook
My Carrier: NA
Accepted Solution

Embedding a "web view" control in a native app

Something that I meant to ask the NDK experts this week but forgot: Is it now possible to embed a web browser within a native app akin to how that can be done via a web view control in Adobe AIR apps?

Developer

Re: Embedding a "web view" control in a native app

Developer

I'm still very interested in the answer to this question.

The context is my app "Flix". Currently I have to have a completely separate application "Flix Movie Selector" written in Adobe AIR to allow users to select a movie to watch. That's pretty ugly.

It would be a big improvement to have a browser embedded directly in the native app so that this could all be seamless.

Anyone at RIM know the answer to this?

Thanks,

Daniel

Retired
My Device: developer
My Carrier: developer

For Cascades, you can embed a WebView into an app; see the sample weatherguesser MoreInfoPage.

You are correct: Cascades is not yet available for Playbook

Developer

Ok, thanks.

Is the plan for Cascades (and thus this specifically ability) to be available on the PlayBook in the next 6 months?

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: PRIV
My Carrier: Rogers

Cascades currently ships as part of the BB10 SDK.  The publicly announced plan is that BB10 will be available on the PlayBook sometime after the BB10 phones are released later this year.  I can't speculate on dates.

Nor can I speculate on whether Cascades will be publicly released as part of a pre-BB10 PlayBook software release.  We only know the knowns Smiley Happy

I inquired about native non-Cascades webview and was told that this is not available today.

Cheers,

Sean

Developer

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9530
My Carrier: Verizon

Did you get an answer for this?

I'm looking to get a WebView working (Cascades) in OS 10 with WebView  bb:cascades:WebView

Do you have an example yet?

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9530
My Carrier: Verizon

This should be available now in OS 10 Beta. I have included and using bb:cascades:WebView in my Native

App and just need an simple example in a Cascase App of what/how to display a HTML5 based URL (Like BrowserField2 would do in OS 7).  Do I leave in the Application basics? How do I get it working? I have

OS 10 Simulator and NDK 10 running now and waiting for a simple example, ready to run it and I can post it back here if someone can help me with an example.