Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: BB10 Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: -

Font metrics

Is there any way to access font metrics from with Cascades?

I need to know the width of a text string when rendered for a given font face, weight etc.

If I was using Java I'd access the FontMetrics class. For Cascades I assumed I would be able to find the lenth of a label or container as if it were about to be rendered, but I don't see an option.

What is the equivalent in Cascades?

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: BB10 Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: -

Re: Font metrics

I've found a work-around, but it's not nice :-(

I'm using bbutil.c  from the "HelloWorldDisplay" NDK (not Cascades)  example, and I've built a wrapper class around it.

That code creates a new screen_context and then loads the given font into memory. From that, it can calculate the string size (it does width and height). It works bit it's a heck of an overhead when Label already has access to the information internally.  Surely there must be a simpler, more elegant solution from within Cascades?

The code I'm using effectively side-loads any font (it takes a font path), but there is no way to pass that into Label. Label only takes the face name e.g. "helvetica" an not the full path :-(

This problem is my experience with Cascase so far in microcosm.  I can see the potential future benefits, but it's currently something of a rough diamond. I can't help feeling that the effort put into creating and maintaining  Cascades would have been better spent helping Nokia/Digia to finish QT5 (which switches rendering to a separate thread like Cascades anyway).