Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido
Accepted Solution

Get network name from CellularNetworkInfo networkinfo problem.

I want to get the name of the network and it is not working.

CellularNetworkInfo networkinfo;

QString name[read-only]

Human readable name of the network.

Since:

BlackBerry 10.0.0

New Contributor
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Get network name from CellularNetworkInfo networkinfo problem.

I am having the same issue. It always returns an empty string. Is this a bug? Is there another way to get the carrier name? 

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 and Q10
My Carrier: Bell

Hi, I have tested the API on 10.2 and it seems to work as expected. I've used the following code:

void ApplicationUI::retrieveNW()
{
	bb::device::CellularNetworkInfo networkinfo;
	qDebug()<<"Network Name:    "<<networkinfo.name();

}

And received the following output to the console:

Network Name:     "Bell" 

@SamarAbdelsayed

Did this answer your question? Please accept post as solution.
Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Found a bug? Report it using the Issue Tracker
Developer
My Carrier: Fido

sabdelsayed wrote:

Hi, I have tested the API on 10.2 and it seems to work as expected. I've used the following code:

void ApplicationUI::retrieveNW()
{
	bb::device::CellularNetworkInfo networkinfo;
	qDebug()<<"Network Name:    "<<networkinfo.name();

}

And received the following output to the console:

Network Name:     "Bell" 

Thanks but it does not work on OS10.1.

will try 10.2

New Developer
My Carrier: Vodafone

[ Edited ]

I have a Z10 on OS10.2 and it also is not reporting the network info name. I am able to get all other functions in the CellularNetworkInfo class, like MCC, MNC, etc. so it's strange that the Name is not returning anything (?). I have tried with 3 different SIM cards on 5 different networks (roaming and native), and 3 different technologies (GSM/UMTS/LTE) in 2 different countries, and I have never seen it return the network name. By comparison, my Android phone returns the correct network name for all of these networks.  I would say this is a bug in the BlackBerry OS.

If anyone at BlackBerry reads this, please have a look into this. Also, does BB10 return the long or the short NITZ name? And/or does it read the network name given by the SIM card?

When using the default character set (see 3GPP TS 23.038 [3]), the serving PLMN shall make both a "short" and a "long" name available to the MS. As an alternative or, in addition, to the default character set, the serving PLMN can make a name available in UCS2. The MS shall be free to choose one of these names depending upon its own characteristics and/or limitations, such as those of its display.
NOTE:	Guidance is sought, particularly from non-European operators, as to whether long and short name is required in UCS2 format.
The Network Operator may change the network identity at any time. However the change of network identity need not force immediate transfer of information to the MS.