Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: curve
My Carrier: airtel

Handling app deletion

I want to handle deletion of my app. If user tries to delete the app, need to throw a prompt to the user, based on user input will be going further with the deletion OR cancelling it.

Are there any ways I can get the deletion event.?

-thanks

Developer
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE + Playbook
My Carrier: MTS Ukraine

Re: Handling app deletion

I might be worng but I think there is no way to do that. 

Thank you!
----------------------------
My Apps: Alchemy Game | Image Resizer | Jam! | Traffic Signs: USA | Radio Record
My Blog: http://bb10pro.com
Developer
My Device: Passport (Red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

You are corect klz, there is no way to do that nor is it likely that there will ever be a way. Just think of the pesky apps that would allow, preventing you from deleting those apps.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Regular Contributor

Basically what I need is to delete all the files associated with the app when the app is deleted.The files are in shred location, since I want to support app upgradation, so I cannot keep the app related files in the app specific folders.

-thanks

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

[ Edited ]

I think the best you could do is warn your users of this within your app and provide a way to delete those files themselves from your app. While you are doing this you might as well ask for feedback as well for why they are deleting.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

on an upgrade the data folder (etc) are not deleted, so you can save your configuration etc there just fine.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

[ Edited ]

Hi Simon,

The OP is asking to delete files on deletion of the app. If he wished to delete them on upgrade or re-installation  then certainly he would need to do this.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

The OP writes " since I want to support app upgradation", and as it is not necessary to put files into the shared folder to support upgradiation...
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

[ Edited ]

Simon, I was puzzled at your response so rereading back, you can read the sentence two ways in his follow-up post, I've read it one way you the other.

It could mean;

1) I want to delete files on deletion of the app.  My problem is I have files in a shared folder for those who upgrade.

2) I want to delete files on deletion of my app to clear them for users upgrading.

I read it the first way as this was what was in the first post and the other immediate responses were saying it wasn't possible to do.

Perhaps some clarification is in order so we are not talking at cross purposes.

Regular Contributor

Below is the scenario:

I have an app that is installed, it has some settings written to some files. By default the files resides in app's data folder.

Usaully when  I delete the app the files in data folder of app is cleared.

So, if just updating the app, by installing another version of the app without manually deleting the existing app will not delete the files created by the previous version, then I am OK with that, else I may need to save those file external to app's data folder.

-thanks