Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Claro
Accepted Solution

Help, about application problem.

My application has been rejected twice due to the following issue: "when user tap the icon app the application fail to launch. It close by itself."
My project is done on the native sdk for playbook os 2.1, in opengl 1.1.
The problem is that when I build it, and test it in my playbook everything works correctly, the application loads, and opens normally. What can be happening?, Or in what way I could fix this problem.?.
Thanks for the help.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Help, about application problem.

Have you tried testing after removing your app from the PlayBook first, then reinstalling? Sometimes people write code that eventually becomes dependendent on certain data being present in the app's data folder. If that data is missing as it would be a for a fresh install (as opposed to an update) then it might not work.

Also does the app require any permissions, like access_shared? If it does, have you tried testing without granting those permissions to make sure it still works?

Does the app depend on any other things that might be "local" to your own environment, such as access to some server? Perhaps they're initially testing without an internet connection.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Contributor

Thanks, well, I already perform clean installation, and still works well, also I deactivated access_shared, and still works well .. I'm not using anything that uses servers or something ...

Developer
My Device: Red Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

when you run your app (not in release mode) watch the console.log and see if you get anything like

also do a ctrl+f search for error

Context: Failed to find target node with id ###

if so, that means something is coded wrong and is likely the cause of the error

I dont belive there is a way to find out what the target is other than by analyzing every bit of your code to find the slight error.

Also try sideloading your app after a clean install using DDPB & also try a clean install from your sandbox

New Contributor

Finally I solved the problem!!  , what happened is that the only folder left absolute access is data/, and I was using app/ to write, and this only allows reading. But this is not evident in the debug, only the signed package, it may be a bug in the sdk Smiley Frustrated , thank you very much for the help. 

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

It's definately not a bug, and clearly documented.

As a matter of just good practice, you should spend time testing your final release build before submitting.

Testing with a debug build is wrong for so many reasons I won't go in to here.

The more complex the app the more testing required.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer

Note that those who use only the simulator can't test release builds, or not easily. I don't think Momentics is configured normally to generate non-devmode simulator builds.

Anyway, background on the filesystem issues here: https://developer.blackberry.com/native/documentation/core/com.qnx.doc.native_sdk.devguide/com.qnx.d...

Note that it says app/ is read-only. It should really be improved to clarify the fact that even if you think it's writable, that's only as a convenience for certain types of development testing.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

[ Edited ]

I'd advise against releasing based just on simulator tests anyway, wouldn't you. :-)

Obviously I realise that not all developers managed to get a dev device or can afford to buy a phone so must work with what they've got.
Perhaps we the lucky ones could volunteer to act as testers, I don't mind looking at the odd app or two per month.

Hope that's not a cue to get swamped with requests. :-)

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer

BBSJdev wrote:

I'd advise against releasing based just on simulator tests anyway, wouldn't you. :-)

For sure! I personally have never yet seen an app released after testing only on a simulator and which had no issues related to differences on the actual device.

I'm sure it's possible... just very difficult and rare, unless the app is trivial.

The simulator is slowly getting better though... at least now it apparently has some camera support (?).

Even testing only on a Dev Alpha can lead to issues, for example if your app needs to use the Invocation Framework to interact with other apps that may not be present on the Dev Alpha beta builds.