Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

My Device: Playbook

How can I implement UI using Native SDK?

I'm very new on Blackberry Z10 and I want to start developing apps using C++ Native development.

Here, on Platform choice, I can choose from Cascade or Native SDK. I need to work with Native SDK because I need to access camera and work with OpenCV, but I have a question:

Can I use Cascade SDK with Native or SDK? or How can I implement UI using Native SDK?

My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Bell

Re: How can I implement UI using Native SDK?

You can build your UI in Cascades and use a ForeignWindowControl to display the camera (or anything else using the Screen API or OpenGL).

There are some examples doing this specifically with the camera here: http://blackberry.github.io/Community/Camera.html

You probably want HelloCamera specifically, though several examples use this technique.

There is a Cascades camera component as well, but it has certain limitations (no burst mode, no face detection), and then you are dealing with Qt objects, so if you are already comfortable using C and looking to do stuff with OpenCV the C API might be a better choice.

Paul Bernhardt
Application Development Consultant

Did this answer your question? Please accept this post as the solution.
Found a bug? Report it to the Developer Issue Tracker