Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

How to Send/receive binary message in BB10?

Hello All,

I am new to Blackberry 10 application development.

This is my requirement: My application is installed on two BB 10 devices. From device 1, my applciation send binary message to device 2. My application on Device 2, get the binary message and do some action.

My question is how I can send/recieve binary message?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Manoj Kumar

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Re: How to Send/receive binary message in BB10?

If the binary data is proprietary to your app then you can use NFC, Bluetooth, etc. to send data between the two devices however if you use invocation then you can set up your own mime type and the invocation framework will take care of all the methods of transfer for you.

It's dependent on your app and what you are doing the transfer for on which is more appropriate.

http://developer.blackberry.com/native/documentation/bb10/invocation_framework.html

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Are you trying to send binary data via the data connection?

If so, have a look at Boost Asio, there are also some samples on the boost website:
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_53_0/doc/html/boost_asio/tutorial.html

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Hello BBSJdev,

Thanks for the reply.

Below is the detail of my application.

I am writing an applciation whihc behaves as a wrapper on the native SMS applciation. From my appliaction, user can type a SMS and it will send to a number using SMS API provided by BB10. The reciever phone is also a BB10 and my application is installed on the also. WHen new SMS is read from my application on the reciever device, my application on reciever device sends a binary message to sender device.

Reciever device need to sedn binary message to the sender's number.

Can you tell me whihc best approach should I use?

Thanks in advance.

Manoj Kumar

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

I wrote a knowledge base article about BlackBerry 10 and SMS APIs:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Native-Development/BlackBerry-10-Developer-s-Guide-to-SMS/ta-...

This includes the use of "port directed binary SMS".

Good luck!

Martin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Follow me on Twitter: @mdwrim