Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry playbook
My Carrier: blackberry

How to disable minimizing application through swipe up in the blackberry playbook

Hi,

Is these a way by which I will able to disable swipe left or right in the lower part of the screen to minimize application .

Thanks,

abhishek

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: How to disable minimizing application through swipe up in the blackberry playbook

At this time there are no APIs available that would permit that.

The need has been identified before. People have asked, for example, for a "kiosk mode", or support for games for small children.

RIM has said nothing about whether this feature will ever be available to us.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry playbook
My Carrier: blackberry

Re: How to disable minimizing application through swipe up in the blackberry playbook

Hi,

Thanks.

Can u suggest me the library which is called when this type of events is captured.

Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

That's the thing. There are no APIs, which include events. We never get any events that indicate that a swipe up gesture has been performed, so we can't capture it.
---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

What rcmaniac25 says is true, we can't directly see swipe up or side-swipe bezel gestures.

What we can do, however, is listen for changes in our window state and some related things, so it's possible to infer that your app has been minimized or that the user swiped to another app.

I don't know offhand where those are in the NDK, but look for events relating to "window state" and maybe "power mode", and/or "active" and "inactive" and maybe standby states.

You don't know for sure what's happened when you get those... for example if the user uses the "peek" gesture in the top left/right corners, it's very likely the same events that your app will get as an indirect result as it would if the user did a bottom swipe.

And then there's the problem of not being able to do anything to prevent it.

Note how an app like Angry Birds will immediately pause itself if you minimize it or "peek". It's watching for those events.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!