Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
My Device: Bold 9800
My Carrier: WIND

How to get ARFCN?

Hello,

I run a site dedicated to mapping cell phone towers and I have always recommended BB OS devices because they provide the ARFCN.

However, when looking at Cascades I was dissapointed that it seems to have been removed, specifically:

http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/7.1.0api/net/rim/device/api/system/GPRSInfo.GPRSCellInfo.h...

It seems this was "dumbed down" into:

https://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/reference/bb__device__cellularband.html

I don't see how you can get the above bands without using the ARFCN, but yet I see nowhere to retrieve the ARFCN number itself.  Am I just missing it somewhere else or has it been removed?  If it has, any plans to put it back?

Thanks,

Ivan

New Developer

Re: How to get ARFCN?

I just saw the field test application on a Z10.  it returns the proper uplink/downlink EARFCN/UARFCN inside of it.  Can the SDK not just be updated to return the number instead of the band?  I doubt its anything more complication than making it a public function vs what is now probably a private one.

New Developer

Nothing?

This reminds me of the Windows Mobile to Windows Phone transition, where Microsoft decided to randomly remove APIs without explaination.  Seems like Blackberry is going down the same route...and I guess developers will follow the same route they did from Windows Mobile (i.e abandon the platform).

New Developer
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: vodafone

2 similar users?

mm
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Bell

If you would like a specific API to be created, please log a feature request on the Developer Issue Tracker:

DIT

BlackBerry 10 is a completely new operating system. We didn't remove features from BlackBerry 7, the only features that exist on BlackBerry 10 are the ones that were specifically built for that OS. Even if a feature existed on BlackBerry 7, it won't be necessarily be built into BlackBerry 10 without a sufficeint use case.

If you have that use case, please let us know.

Paul Bernhardt
Application Development Consultant
BlackBerry
@PBernhardt

Did this answer your question? Please accept this post as the solution.
Found a bug? Report it to the Developer Issue Tracker
New Developer

Thanks for the reply. The page (JIRA after login prompt) loads into an infinite redirect loop as soon as I log in (tried with two browsers). I'll try tomorrow again.
New Developer
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: vodafone

same loop problem: for the second account password i have an infinite loop to recover it from the smartphone, no alternative emails look good 

mm
New Developer

I still can't get to the JIRA tracker due to the infinite loop.  It loads the header then reloads the page every second.  Any other way I can contact someone to get this added?

New Developer

Still unable to log in to JIRA since a few months ago (infinite redirect loop).  Did anybody report this in JIRA already?  Any changes in the API?  I see some stuff was added for 10.2, but nothing relating to this from what I can see.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Bell

Please private message me your BBID email, I can see if there is something wrong with your account.

Paul Bernhardt
Application Development Consultant
BlackBerry
@PBernhardt

Did this answer your question? Please accept this post as the solution.
Found a bug? Report it to the Developer Issue Tracker