Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Regular Contributor
My Device: non-Blackberry user
My Carrier: none

How to load sample apps into Momentics IDE

I know  I am going to feel stupid after this post, but I must submit it anyway as I find loading an existing sample project into Momentics a bit to much.

Here is what I am doing.  I download the Cookbook.qml package which is a zip file.  I then unzip the file.  Now right here I thing things get a little difficult compared to other IDE's I have used.

If I was using Visual Studio I would either click on the Visual Studio project file, and this mime type would launch the IDE.  I could probable  open an existing project with something like File->Open Project from inside MSVS as well. 

QtCreator is even easier to use the MSVS for opening  a new Qt Project.

Now in trying to use Momentics.  I see nothing in the File Menu that says "Open Project".  Looking very far down the File Menu there is something labeled "Import"  If this is indeed where I go to open an existing project I think to myself why is it so far down on the File Menu,  How is it that things like " Command Line Delimiters", "Restart", "Switch Workspace" come before it.  I mean opening an existing project is kind of basic stuff, a friend or colleague gives you a USB stick or an email attachment with a project, or perhaps you want to make a scratch copy of an existing project to try some wacky stuff. 

Ok.  So I think to myself, "Import Project" is what I want, so I click on this, and then I am given a bewildering amount of choices.  Is this a General Project (With many hard choices to make), is it a Blackberry project to import,  or is it a C++ project.  What I really want here is to be able to select a file with the right mime type and have the  IDE do all the thinking for me as as to what kind of project it is.  And open it up properly. 

Well not to give up I perservere  and select a General Project to import.. It ask me is it an archive folder and since I unzipped it I know it is not this one, but the next two choices are very confusing.  Do I select "Existing Project Into workspace", or "File System", I chose the first one.  Now it is asking me to chose a root directory or  an archive file, I try both, as I have both the zip file and the unzip file directory.  Now I get something populated into the Projects List area below, but I am unable to select it or hit the finished button as both or not selectable.

I have given up to write this email.  My guess it is all very easy  to do, that I have done something wrong.  I wait for someone to please advise a new Momentics user  how to open (import ?) an existing project.

Thanks,

David

PS Using the Momentics 10.0.6 on WIndows

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, DA B, DA C, LE Z10 #102, Q10, Z30
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: How to load sample apps into Momentics IDE

File -> Import -> Existing Projects into Workspace -> Browse -> Click on file path of unzipped Example -> Select Project -> Finish

Hope this helps.

---
Check out my BB10 Cascades Coding site: BBcascades.com & Cascades Blog: bbcascadescode.tumblr.com

My Built for BlackBerry app: The Dive Plan
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply, I've tried both, cascacdecookbook.qml.zip and the directory I unzipped by the same name. The results are the same. The Finished button is not selectable
Developer

Better yet heres a video of me importing the cowbell app in the IDE. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHuPp55L8Ks&feature=youtu.be

-Brian

---
Check out my BB10 Cascades Coding site: BBcascades.com & Cascades Blog: bbcascadescode.tumblr.com

Regular Contributor

Thanks Brian. I am headed over there now to take a look
Regular Contributor

Hmm for some reason the sole item in the Projects List is not selectable, nor is the Finish button.  Maybe I should not be usin gthe casecasecookbook.qml

Developer

Well items become grayed out after you've imported them, check your "Project Explorer" to see if the app has already been imported.

---

Regular Contributor

Yes you were right, The project window was hidden so I never saw it loaded.  In the future it would be nice to see the File Menu clean up a bit, and the Import made a litle more clear - just my two cents worth anyway

Thanks for gettinnnng me going with Momentics

-David

Retired
My Device: developer
My Carrier: developer

Welcome to the forums!

Glad you got going.

To keep things tidy and for people looking at this thread in the future, can you mark one or more appropriate posts as the solution

Stuart