Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: CMCC
Accepted Solution

How to set system alarm clock or remainder or notification

Hi,

Recently I have found that unlike android there is no background service for BB10 yet. Is there any way to set the system alarm or remainder for notification?

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: How to set system alarm clock or remainder or notification

HI and welcome to the forums!

Nothing official has been released would you be kind enough to share you're link?

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

fireball003, so far it appears we have no way to set up an automated invocation of our apps based on a date/time, other than if we were to do it using the Push service, which requires also setting up a remote server to handle things. Possibly this will be something that comes when we get the background service capability too, in a later update? They've never said anything about any of these things officially, beyond confirming we don't have them yet.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Developer

Peter9477, thanks for clarification. I was thinking if it was possible to set time/date based notification/alarm using calendar. But I guess that's not a solution to this issue.
Developer

fireball003, maybe you're asking for something much simpler than what I thought. Do you just mean does that feature exist, independently of your app? You can certainly use the calendar to set an alarm for a given date and time.

I thought you meant could you set it up to invoke your app from a calendar entry at a given date/time. I've been told that's not currently possible, either manually or programmatically from within your app. If that wasn't what you meant then what I said above isn't relevant here.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Developer

I guess I should clarify. Part of my app is to alert user for something at certain time of the day. The alert time is different each day. Now, if I could use background service, my app would notify the user at the time. However, since there is no background service, I could possibly think of
1. setting system alarm form the app for the remainder at certain time.
2. Using calendar to set the time as remainder.

But, now it seems not doable, is it?
Developer

If you're not actually expecting the calendar/alarm to launch your app (i.e. to invoke it) then you can probably do what you want.

There seem to be two approaches, which you can pick from. One is to just invoke the calendar as a "card", which appears to let you pre-populate the various fields with information and then the user can accept, change, or cancel the creation of a new event. See https://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/documentation/device_platform/invocation/calendar.html

You can also programmatically create events through the libbbpim.so library, using APIs described here: https://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/reference/app_integration_calendar.html

I have no experience with either but you can read there for yourself how they work.

New Developer

Thank you very much! I will go through those references. Smiley Happy
New Developer
My Device: z10
My Carrier: Indosat

sorry for resurrect this thread just want to ask do you succeed implementing this function?

i have same problem to set alarm/notification in specific time and still confused how to implemetd in Blackberry os 10 specialy core