Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Passport (SQW100-1)
My Carrier: o2 (Telefónica Germany)
Accepted Solution

How to structure my app?

Hey guys, I am currently trying to write my first native blackberry 10 app, but I have a question on how to structure the app. To clarify what I want to know, here a small overview about the important parts of my app:

1) Login

2) List of entries

3) View entry

The user requires to log in before he can access [2] and [3]. I am currently using [1] as my first page (NavigationPane) and after the user has logged in successfully, he can access [2] and [3]. A firend asked, if it isn't better to use [2] as my first page (NavigationPane) and push [1] to the front, if the user isn't logged in.

Both ways feel valid, but is there a best practice how to structure the app?

Software Release: 10.3.1.1779
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Re: How to structure my app?

No there is no best practice, this question has been asked many times in these forums, do a search on 'password' or 'login' if you fancy reading the discussions.

Personally I used a NavigationPane page as the initial lock screen then also used a sheet to avoid peeks while a user was within the app which also has the advantage of returning to the screen the user left from.

Depending on the complexity of your app and what exactly the password page is for will determine your best practice.

If the login is a one time only then a page is fine.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
My Device: Red Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

You will also likely want to disable gestures that allow the main application content to be viewed such as the peek gesture

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Passport (SQW100-1)
My Carrier: o2 (Telefónica Germany)

Thank you guys, for your answers. I'll search the forum for more information about how other users have implemented their login pages. The hints on disabling the gestures and using a sheet are great!

Software Release: 10.3.1.1779